Replacement windows and siding begin

/ Replacement windows and siding begin
The rain held off long enough today to get almost a whole day of work in. They are closing in on finishing the siding. The gutter guy came by today to take measurements and the shutters arrived this afternoon. I doubt any work will be done this weekend as a huge weather front is coming in. Here is today's progress!

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #12  
You are making that into a fine looking house. Good job.

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #13  
I'm not a huge fan of novelty siding but it looks like they are doing a nice job and it's really transforming your home. It's amazing what different color schemes can do for a place. Nice choices.

The rain really slowed work this weekend and completely stopped it today. The crew supposedly will finish hanging the siding tomorrow as long as the weather holds up. I've decided to have them cover my small barn, so one crew will be around a little longer. The gutter guy is due later this week as well. I have a couple of questions for everyone here. Check the last two pictures. Any advice is very appreciated.

Now for the questions.

These three windows are new construction type. They are in the old sunroom. Should these windows have grey trim around them? I hung a piece up beside them for reference.

The next is a section of the roof where the shingles were cut short. Should this section be turned under the shingles instead of the "Z" shape? With gutters this maybe fine.

Close up

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #15  
Bamaram,
You just had the roof redone. Any reason why a drip edge was not installed? Personally i don't like the "z" type bend and in your case could of been avoided.
This applies for both the the rake end and the eves. I am not a fan of going over old siding. Why was it not removed? Also when they did the roof did they replace the step flashing? Or did they reuse the old one? You just installed 30 yr plus products and if they reused the old aluminum step flash again thats something i would not of done. Just my 2 cents. The reason foam is used over your existing type of siding is to give them a flat surface for the new siding. Yes it does give you alittle extra insulation but its not the reason it is used. After looking at the pictures quickly looks like things are good. Again my question are just that. Not trying to say good or bad. Everyone has there own ways of doing things. I don't like covering up the old unless there is a good reason for it.

Bamaram,
You just had the roof redone. Any reason why a drip edge was not installed? Personally i don't like the "z" type bend and in your case could of been avoided.
This applies for both the the rake end and the eves. I am not a fan of going over old siding. Why was it not removed? Also when they did the roof did they replace the step flashing? Or did they reuse the old one? You just installed 30 yr plus products and if they reused the old aluminum step flash again thats something i would not of done. Just my 2 cents. The reason foam is used over your existing type of siding is to give them a flat surface for the new siding. Yes it does give you alittle extra insulation but its not the reason it is used. After looking at the pictures quickly looks like things are good. Again my question are just that. Not trying to say good or bad. Everyone has there own ways of doing things. I don't like covering up the old unless there is a good reason for it.

Builder, I was hoping you would see this thread and reply. I read through your comments on PClausen's thread not too long ago and found them interesting. Of course as luck would have it, I read through those comments about a week after the roof went on. I'm new to the siding world and hadn't heard of the drip edge vs "Z" method. I would have liked to have the drip edge installed as it does seem like a superior method. The step flashing was removed and replaced in some areas and left in others. Some of the areas it was obvious it needed replacing because of water infiltration and bends. Other areas it looked as if it were new, so it was left and everything got ice/water shield over it as well as synthetic felt. My contractor was up front about leaving the siding and using the foam board. He mentioned you get a little R value, but it is mainly for the flat surface. He felt the old siding was in good enough shape that it did not need removing. I'm sure labor and dump cost played a role in this, but I figured what is one more layer going to hurt? There was only one trouble spot that somewhat worried me, but I was told there was no actual rot just swelling of the old siding. What would be your motive for removing the old siding? I assume you get a completely flat surface when doing this.

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #17  
Hi Bamaram,
The extra layer won't hurt anything. The main reason i like to remove the existing siding is so i can see if any water damage has happened and any other problems. Another reason i like to remove it is because your existing windows will look like they are sunken into the siding unless they build them out prior to the aluminum trim. I just don't like that look but like i said its just me and the way i do things. Another reason is a new building wrap could of been installed and all the seams taped. Your water and ice could of been curled up onto the house wall. You are down south so this may not be common practice down your way. Up here we don't worry so much with the rain as we do the ice. Ice works its way back up into every nuck and cranny.
Bamaram i just completed an addition and i'll try to take a picture of how we do the trim on the rake end and post it.

The crew finished up the siding today and what an absolute difference it has made! I don't think anything could have possibly went any better. The gutter guy is due in the morning and other than a little caulk that will be it. If anyone is looking for a window or siding contractor message me and I'll send you his information. Check out the finished product.

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #19  
I am glad all went well.:thumbsup:

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #20  
Boy, it looks great!

mkane09