Rescued a dog tonight.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #21  
BIG thank you for your act of kindness!!! :thumbsup:

/ Rescued a dog tonight.
Sorry I still don't have a photo to post. The foster person has reported back that the dog is well behaved, nary an issue with her other dogs. He is or already has been neutered (ouch) and will be moved to a group that specialized in German Shepard rescue. Had we the room, we would have taken him in a heartbeat. Given his propensity for running into the drainpipe, I would think that this dog would be a search and rescue candidate. He had sat there along the road dutifully waiting for a good five days the best we can tell from speaking with some neighbors who also left him food.

My wife and I had a long discussion about the motives of someone who dumps a pet. You know, why not take it to a shelter? The reality is that there are so many unwanted pets that the shelters have little financial choice but to kill them. So, many people who just don't that there are options will dump a pet hoping that some caring person will rescue them. This does not excuse them in my mind but it is what it is. Until mandatory nuetering and spaying come to pass save for licensed breeders, in the words of Dr Jeff (Animal Planet), lack there of is the greatest source of abuse.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #24  
It just tears my heart out to think of that poor dog, sitting patiently by the side of the road, waiting for its master to return, who will never come.

This!, I cannot imagine what the poor dog was thinking, just waiting.

Good work OP!

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #25  
German Shepards are one of the smartest, loyal and protective breeds there are. I've had 3 that have had much better temperament than the current Maltese. Never bitten by s Sheppard and could do anything with them. The Maltese has drawn blood more times than I can count. Meanest little dog I've ever had!

Sent from the mountains

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #26  
My wife and I had a long discussion about the motives of someone who dumps a pet. You know, why not take it to a shelter?

Dumping is awful - but at our local shelter, to answer your question - they . . .
Between January 2005 and July 2008, Texas A&M acquired 474 live dogs from local shelters, primarily Lehman Animal Shelter in Giddings, Texas. Records indicate that the dogs were euthanized at the university on the same day they were acquired from the shelter. Between January 2006 and March 2008, Texas A&M acquired 86 dead cats from Lehman Animal Shelter. A&M Sued Over Research Animal Vet Records | Houston Press

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #27  
It breaks my heart to think of that GSD sitting by the side of the road for five days. QRTRHRS, good on you for rescuing it. Getting it to a good rescue group was a really good idea. My wife and I got ours through a local GSD rescue group. I know they have dogs that have "issues" and need work but ours has been wonderful from day 1. Sounds like the one you rescued will also be good from day 1, assuming a good owner. Loyal, smart, family and protective describe the dog well. I'm glad I'm not closer or I would come and get it.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #28  
One of the roads we use drops down into a ravine, crossing over a creek before climbing back up the other side. Some people use the area to dump unwanted pets though there are alternatives.

We were on a tight time line earlier this week when we drove by the area and saw yet another dog, a german shepard, waiting dutifully along the road for the perp/owner that had obviously dumped him. My wife went back later that day and tried to catch him but he ran into a drain pipe. She left him some food and continued to try to catch him for the next couple of days to no avail.

She got a group of people together today to try to rescue the dog. I had spent the day outside in the heat cutting and sanding various pieces of wood for updating our house. Finishing for the day, I had gone to the barn to tend to the horses when my wife brought me her phone. Seems her friends had gotten lost so I directed them to our place but they got lost again. Having finished my chores, I offerred to help once the others showed.

Well after dark when we pulled up to the spot with the dog dutifully still waiting, he immediately ran into the drain pipe. I knew what had to be done and looking at the cantidates, knew that I was elected. The drain pipe ended in mid air over the creek so I had to drop down from the top and crawl into a 24 inch diameter pipe over open space. The pipe was two 20 foot sections overall with the last 15 feet filled with a couple of inches of gravel and stone. I pushed the dog towards the other end where our friends had a cage set up. He was scared but not aggressive. As we got closer, someone managed to loop a lead over his head and they got him crated though he was wanting to bolt.

We have no room for more dogs so our friends will get him cleaned up and fostered until an adopter is found. Other than dirty and bitten up by bugs or fleas, he was in pretty fair shape. I don't figure it will be long before someone takes him.

Me? I have been "gimping" around on a bad knee avoiding surgury for a month or so now. I really did not need to be crawling through a drain pipe but you gotta' do what you gotta' do, lol!

Anyway, this boy was one of the lucky ones. Most of the throw away's around here get put down.

Qr, in what part of the country did you find this dog?

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #29  
German Shepards are one of the smartest, loyal and protective breeds there are. I've had 3 that have had much better temperament than the current Maltese. Never bitten by s Sheppard and could do anything with them. The Maltese has drawn blood more times than I can count. Meanest little dog I've ever had!

Sent from the mountains

My father got a GS from my sister when he was about 4. She was taking him for a walk one day and some little ( unleashed ) something , came running up to him and picked a fight. My sister tried to separate them and her GS snapped. I think it was at the other dog but she thought it was at her. IMO, my sister is not qualified to own a dog. .02 . Because she was so freaked out, she decided to bring the dog to the vet to be put down, .. My father got there before she could and took him for himself. He was a very loyal dog, very protective but not aggressive. He lived a better life with my dad than he ever would have with my sister.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #30  

Would only that we could put them in similar circumstances, and that it would teach them to do better, or maybe it would be more just to put them at the bottom of the pool- with a nice weight tied around their neck.

Wouldn't that be satisfying? :thumbsup:
Years ago I took a shortcut to a friend's house, up a seldom travelled back road. It was a cold night in the middle of January, and about a mile from the main road I spotted a kitten sitting on the center of the gravel; obviously right where it had been placed from somebody in the driver's seat. My friends didn't like cats and I had no place to keep it; so I stopped by a nearby farm and asked them to take it in. I hunt, fish, and trap; yet anything I kill is humanely as possible... Even if it isn't easy.

To the OP: there's a special place in Heaven for guys like you... just as those who dump or mistreat their unwanted pets have a place saved for them... where they will get the same treatment.