Residential Landscaping Pricing

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #21  
I know basements are common in many parts of the country, especially up north, and I think they're a very good idea, but you'd be hard put to find one in Texas that was built in the last 50 years.

Bird

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #22  
Re: Basements

Bird, there are lots of basements in Texas. This year they are dry, but most years they are just all full of water!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #23  
Re: Basements

You're sure right about that; don't have to worry about water in the basement now. And I do know where there are lots of houses with basements, but very few built in recent years; at least in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Bird

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #24  
I got in on this discussion kind of late, but we are a landscaping co. with a 2710 and a older Massey tractor. We have a couple of box blades plus a 3 point trencher, a post hole auger, a tiller, a cultivator, and a (seeding)drill, along with some other equipment that we put in sprinkler systems with (a couple of ditch witch vibratory plows). I guess I am trying to qualify my answer to your question here. We live in a fairly small market, but keep very busy. Basically we charge about $45.oo an hour per tractor and operator. If we have one tractor working and another man on the ground running a shovel it might go up to about $60.00 an hour. All this very to some degree depending on how big or small the job is and what all is involved. Example: if we were back filling a new house and then putting a new lawn along with a sprinkler system the whole package might be less than a normal hourly rate. We go in and bid every job to the hour, and if we end up taking less time getting it done we will come down on the original price. And we NEVER ever charge more than we bid. It is very good for business to tell a customer that the job you did them ended up costing them 50 to 100 dollars less than they expected, and it is only fair. Learning to bid the job to start with is the trick, and if you have been running a tractor very long at all you probably have a better idea than you might think. We haven't lost any money yet on a job, but we learned after time and experience that we were in this to make money and to not cut things to darn close. As far as the hourly rate, it just depends on the market, like everything else. I know 50 miles to the north of us is a fairly large city with unlimited building going on and their rates are 20 to 30 dollars higher than ours. Why don't we go up there and work more, because you add in 2 hours of driving plus gas and it gets less worth it. Also I just like working in a smaller town. Sorry if this got a little long. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me at my e-mail address anytime.

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing
Glen B., thanks for the detailed info. It's digesting... I'll probably have some questions later. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mark

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #26  
Mark, Just to be honest there is a downside to this landscaping. I spent practically the whole day on the end of a shovel today in about 80% humidity. Some days you just have to get off the tractor and do the other stuff too. Yes we have hired hands, but they were working with my partner. I just drawed the short stick today I guess.

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #27  
Cant always get the gravy!! I was moving dirt last night until 11:30 when it started pouring rain. I almost got all the dirt moved now it will have to wait a couple of days for it to dry out.
Gordon

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing
Not me. That's why I tell people I do "tractor work", not landscaping. I tell them up front that if I have to get off the tractor to do it, it doesn't get done. Now, if only my wife would buy that.

Of course, it doesn't work out that way, anyhow, but it's nice to get things started that way.

Mark

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #29  
We had 2 inches of rain last night. The kind that came down so hard that it packs the dirt down, but I am for all purposes shut down for the day. Guess I could work on equipment but think we will just call it a long holiday weekend. One of the joys of working for yourself, although my wife and my partners wife seem to requlate our (meaning putting a damper) on our lazy side. Have a good holiday everyone.....glen

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #30  
Mark
I don't do a lot of tractor work with my L3600, but i don't move it for less than $40.00 per hour, port to port, i have the proper insurance, and keep enough work to have a little extra & some fun. When i bought my unit the dealer gave me a good comparison, an old case backhoe in our area brings $70/hr and can be purchase for the same or less than my 3600 so why give away work at @ $20-25/hr???