Residential Landscaping Pricing

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #31  
So Mark you must be pretty busy havn't heard much from you in the last week. How goes the war with with the dirt are you winning I hope? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I'm serously considering the L35 for my upgrade but it has no hydro so here we go again./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing
I've been working on one of my charity landscaping projects since last Tuesday. Aside from being tired and sore, it was a tremendous success.

We planted about 150 shrubs, 35 or so trees, etc. I dug out a pine stump with the Bradco backhoe that was so big I had to dig a 5-foot deep hole all the way around it, and when we got it loose it took my tractor and an L2550 to pick it up. I was able to get it high enough that it would barely drag, but I needed the other tractor's help to get it high enough to get it onto a pile. Once he helped me raise it, I was able to carry it. Good thing I had 2,000 pounds of backhoe on the tail to counter-balance it.

I moved huge amounts of topsoil, mulch, compost, fill, debris, stumps, etc., pulled more trees, cut and filled lots of grades, augered holes for all the trees and shrubs, and probably lot's of other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

I found out the Michelin XM27's cleats are deep enough and sharp enough to grab curbs and lift the tractor over them easily.

Also, I found out that the toothbar does a passable job of imitating a tiller if you only have to go a few inches deep. And it sure makes brush cleanup a lot easier.

One thing I've decided I don't like about Kubota's is the hour meters move too slow. I used it several hours Tuesday & Wednesday, from 7 in the morning to at least 5 in the evening (with no more than half an hour for lunch) on Thursday thru Sunday, and the hour meter only registered 19.6 hours. Obviously, I need to run the tractor at a higher rpm. I wonder if JimBinMi's hour meter would work on my Kubota - I figure I'd have worked at least another 10 hours or so.

Mark

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #33  
Mark,

No wonder that when I was looking at used tractors, the Kubota's in general looking much more used than New Hollands with similar hours on them! No joking, I wondered why/how they could look so much more beat up!

Sounds like some kind of Marketing/Sales ploy to me! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #34  
Kubotas just look more beat up because the owners use them instead of letting them sit around to look at./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

If it is some marketing ploy on Kubota's part, I sure am glad they put their smart people in engineering and their dumb ones in marketing. I certainly wouldn't want to encourage the notion that a tractor can't take the punishment well by artificially deflating the number of hours on it, nor would I want to encourgage potential customers to buy used instead of new by not racking up hours as fast as possible. Maybe it's the blue folks that have the smarter marketing guys... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

BTW, I'm proud of you for your message to the Kubota hater - I just didn't want to perpetuate that thread by saying so there. Joking is one thing - stupidity is quite another. It appears you develop an allergic reaction to it's display, much as I do.

Mark

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #36  
Hi Mark,

I thought I remembered in a previous post that your Kubota measured pretty close to 1 hr /hr at PTO speed. That seems to be the calibration on mine. I run mine at PTO speed most of the time anyway.

You give NH too much credit. Their engineer just picked the wrong gear out of the catalog and they have been using it ever since! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Yeah, mine measures hours at PTO speed, but I rarely run it that fast. In fact, I'll bet it never once hit PTO speed all last week. When I'm running the tiller or rotary cutter, I do, but otherwise, I run it just fast enough to do what needs doing without lugging.

Maybe I need a smaller tractor. Hah! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Mark

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #38  
Wonder if you need 19.5 hp? Naw, the backhoe wouldn't fit. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #39  
Mark,

Thanks. I'm trying to be kinder and gentler of late, there are a lot of new members adding daily that don't need to feel "color wars". I will continue to suggest that they look at NH since I believe it's a quality tractor, not that K & JD aren't!

I still have one Orange guy that seems to wait for my posts so he can rip me a new one! If he doesn't loosen up I'll just ignore his posts or spend less time here. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Residential Landscaping Pricing #40  
Wen,

What make/model is 19.5 hp? Mine is 18.5 hp and it does accept a backhoe! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!