Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Silver Member Bday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    176
    Location
    Lucerne, IN
    Tractor
    53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A

    Default Acetone and tranny fluid !!

    Thought I'd mention to the guys that didn't know about this mixture. I found it on another tractor forum. The guy's there tested all market sold rust busters, and said the mixture of 50/50 acetone tranny fluid beat everything hands down. Every time I use it on rusted bolts and fixtures it proves to work great. We tore an IH wide front down today. The axle tubes wouldn't budge. We heated and hammered, they would not budge. Soaked them with this mixture in 6 hrs could slide them out by hand. Try it. It works!!!

  2. #2
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,279
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Acetone and tranny fluid !!

    remember to agitate often!

  3. #3
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,436
    Location
    Yanceyville, North Carolina
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

    Default Re: Acetone and tranny fluid !!

    I realize that most members adhere to safe measures when working with chemicals, but I wish to insert this warning. I once worked at a major boat manufacturer in Acetone Recovery. Acetone is highly volatile and is a flash explosive.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

  4. #4
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,436
    Location
    Yanceyville, North Carolina
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

  5. #5
    Elite Member Baby Grand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,675
    Location
    Windsor, CT.
    Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

    Default Re: Acetone and tranny fluid !!

    Good information - thanks, creekbend.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

  6. #6
    Elite Member Baby Grand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,675
    Location
    Windsor, CT.
    Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

    Default Re: Acetone and tranny fluid !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bday View Post
    Thought I'd mention to the guys that didn't know about this mixture. I found it on another tractor forum. The guy's there tested all market sold rust busters, and said the mixture of 50/50 acetone tranny fluid beat everything hands down. Every time I use it on rusted bolts and fixtures it proves to work great. We tore an IH wide front down today. The axle tubes wouldn't budge. We heated and hammered, they would not budge. Soaked them with this mixture in 6 hrs could slide them out by hand. Try it. It works!!!
    Thanks for the recipe. I may well try it next time i need to unstuck something rusty if my usual Kroil or brake fluid don't do the job.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

  7. #7
    Elite Member gwdixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,584
    Location
    Northern CA

    Default Re: Acetone and tranny fluid !!

    The OP formula is a variation of Ed's Red bore cleaner used for gun cleaning. A penetrating oil test by Machinist Workshop magazine had the following results for removing rusted identical nuts in a scientific environment..

    Penetrating oil ..... Average load

    None ...................... 516 pounds
    WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
    PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
    Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
    ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

  8. #8
    Silver Member Bday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    176
    Location
    Lucerne, IN
    Tractor
    53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A

    Default Re: Acetone and tranny fluid !!

    Quote Originally Posted by creekbend View Post
    I realize that most members adhere to safe measures when working with chemicals, but I wish to insert this warning. I once worked at a major boat manufacturer in Acetone Recovery. Acetone is highly volatile and is a flash explosive.
    The tranny fluid must affect the flashpoint of the acetone. We were and have use rose buds around the mixture. As with anything flammable I wouldn't recommend using heat around an open can or large amount of the stuff! Mixture appears to boil more than ignite when exposed to flame,but I'm not trying to get any flame around a large amount! Common sense must be applied!!!!

  9. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    998
    Location
    western NC
    Tractor
    Ventrac, Steiner

    Default Re: Acetone and tranny fluid !!

    Acetone had a boiling point of around 150degreesF. The gas given off is highly combustible..

  10. #10
    Super Member Gary Fowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,742
    Location
    Bismarck Arkansas
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

    Default Re: Acetone and tranny fluid !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bday View Post
    The tranny fluid must affect the flashpoint of the acetone. We were and have use rose buds around the mixture. As with anything flammable I wouldn't recommend using heat around an open can or large amount of the stuff! Mixture appears to boil more than ignite when exposed to flame,but I'm not trying to get any flame around a large amount! Common sense must be applied!!!!
    Both of those ingredients will burn although the Tranny fluid is much higher temp for ignition. Maybe the acetone was burning with an almost invisible flame that you didnt see. I use my used motor oil and hydraulic oil to burn brush piles with and it is a good fire starter.
    Try your 50/50 mix in the dark and see if it burns.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tranny fluid and Rear end fluid for a Ford 2910?
    By shock in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 08:27 PM
  2. Tranny Fluid
    By branman1971 in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
  3. tranny fluid in fuel?
    By mikehaugen in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 11:19 PM
  4. Tranny fluid
    By lawnduster in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 12:14 AM
  5. Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible?
    By George_Martin in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-20-2005, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.