Right Angle Gearbox

/ Right Angle Gearbox #11  
Yes we have tried one. It was by far the cleanest cut of anything we've tried. It didn't work though because the leafs grow in all directions and the sickle bar was only able to cut when they lined up in the right direction. Very nice cut though.

It was worth a shot. I guess we're back to a rotary mower, then. Have you looked at a pre-fab finish mower? That's really what you're talking about. By the time you find all the parts for what you're talking about you may be even money to find a good, used finish mower.

/ Right Angle Gearbox #12  
I saw an old asparagas topper one time that had a flat mower blade but the blade had the cycle mower teeth bolted on the end. It made a really nice cut.

/ Right Angle Gearbox #14  
I saw something today on a trailer that was set up for cuttin Gladiolas. It was a sickle mower that had small nose cones like the front of a corn picker. I couldnt get a pic and they told me it was going to Florida. I have a question. How do you lift your bulbs/rhizomes? Im in partners with a friend on a flower farm here we are trying to set up.

/ Right Angle Gearbox
Thanks again for all the info! It's giving me great ideas I haven't thought of yet.

As for lifting the rhizomes I made a simple digger. All it is is some sort of digging bar I found down at our yard. I mounted it at about a 30 degree angle and welded some half inch steel rods to the back to lift the iris up then drop them and break the dirt off. Heres a simple diagram I made in paint real quick...Its a lot easier to show then tell. lol

I'm working on one now that instead of dropping the iris back on the ground it drops it onto a conveyor and brings it up to a bin. Kinda like an onion harvester. That way we don't have to pay a crew to go through and pick them up in the field.

Attachments

• digger.JPG
    digger.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 174
   / Right Angle Gearbox #16  
How about a 30" gravely rough cut mower attachment?

It would already have everything but a power source.

Aaron Z

/ Right Angle Gearbox #17  
I saw an old asparagas topper one time that had a flat mower blade but the blade had the cycle mower teeth bolted on the end. It made a really nice cut.

Old corn binder or old single row corn silage choppers have a deal like that - a hub with 4 or so sicle bar mower blades bolted to the hub, spins over a single fixed blade to cut like a sissors. Bit of a snout to guide the forage into the cutting area.

--->Paul