Rim Guard --> Beet Juice

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #21  
After reading the patent, and since you are sort of hands on with the product, how about some details? What is the viscoscity like, something akin to tomato juice, or what?
Also, what's the fiber content like?

best way to handle waste oil is either vacuum transferr or a piston pump. I use both in my operation, and am convinced a rotary pump just don't cut it in that application, especially when the oil is cold.

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My tire 14.9-26 holds about 47 gallons at 75% fill.)</font>

Interestingly enough, in looking at the patent, it is for both the ballast itself and the method of filling the tire with it ("Wheel with molasses ballast and method"). Actually there are a couple of methods described, including the mechanisms to accomplish them. One method utilizes two oppositely mounted installed valve stems, the other a duplexing arrangement via a single valve stem. The important thing is that the methods of filling the tire results in a tire with a near 100% fill.

The paragraph;

"Hicks '949 shows the use of a mineral composition with a cushioning agent as ballast for a vehicle tire. The cushioning agent is usually a lightweight particle having occluded air therein. The cushioning agent could be expanded minerals, expanded plastics, or expanded rubbers (natural or synthetic). Solid materials break down and are difficult to insert into the tire."

appears to explain the reasoning here. (BTW, it appears that there is an error in the patent itself- it refers to "Hicks '949" which apparently should be "Hicks '999") I suspect that the solids in the beet molassas act as the cushioning agent, preserving the pnematic action of an entirely filled tire. The referenced Hicks patent refers to a dry filled tire, but makes specific description of this action. This also explains the the choice of beet derived maolassas; "Unlike desugared cane molasses, which has only salt water as its final by-product, desugared sugar beet molasses has betaine, carbohydrates, cell wall amino acids, and contains 35-89% by weight solids from the beet fiber."

If it's weight you're looking for, it appears that Rim Guard is not only heavier than some other liquids, it allows a greater fill. My question to those who have spoken with Glen Daly,- In addition to the Rim Guard liquid itself, is he marketing the fill valve (Figures 3-5 of the patent) that allows (nearly) 100% fill through a single valve stem? That alone will give about a third again as much weight.

Now I have to figure out how I can explain it to the CFO that I need it...

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #23  
Don't forget that there is also a Gel fill available: If I remember right, the company is Agco and the product is Sof-fil. It has some advantages...it's not solid, but if you get a puncture, you won't be leaking and it's heavy. I filled my front wheels with this and they ended up about 50# each. Cost was something like $65 each. Another advantage is that it acts just like air is in the tire, you still have a nice ride. My dealer recommended it, and I'm very happy with them. It eliminated almost regular punctures that I got cruising around that back 40 after cutting.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #24  
<font color="blue"> I filled my front wheels with this and they ended up about 50# each. Cost was something like $65 each </font>

That was about what I paid to have the fronts on my Kubota B2910 foam filled. First time I have heard of gel filled tires.

Is that something the consistancy of Jello? Interesting...

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice #25  
I think we are talking about the same stuff here, if you are talking about Superflex from Arnco. Here's the link. Great stuff but cost prohibitive for the rears--$800 for the rears, if memory serves. Superflex

/ Rim Guard --> Beet Juice
Well... Still sitting on the edge of your seat...

Guess what John /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif... It worked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Took me 1 hour 10 minutes to load one tire with 45 gallons of Rim Guard using my little drill pump. Not a record but got the job done. Used the drill pump after that to unload the other tire, about 70 gallons of calcium chlordie. Will finish load the other tire tomorrow. Had to wait for the paint to dry on the rim. I sandblasted the rust spot.

Picture of the rust on rim prior to sandblasting.

Attachments

• 267418-Before_sandblasting.jpg
    267418-Before_sandblasting.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 447
Rim after sandblasting

Attachments

• 267419-Rim_after_sandblasting.jpg
    267419-Rim_after_sandblasting.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 404
My Rube Golberg setup.

Don't laugh to much.. it works /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Attachments

• 267422-Rim_Guard_pumping.jpg
    267422-Rim_Guard_pumping.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 575
Picture of the All Mighty drill pump /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The Makita drill has for sure done its duty over the last 15 years!

Attachments

• 267423-Rim_guard_pump.jpg
    267423-Rim_guard_pump.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 387