Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25

/ Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25 #11  
Anybody done this on hilly terrain? I have 21 AC of timber recently logged. My forest management plan to support the huge property tax deduction requires a certain level of management of the replanted forest (500 trees/AC). @! AC is too much for me to be tromping on foot at my age. In the sloped areas ; looking at using the BS w/ and w/o rippers to cut into the bank and work it out to a side slope my 25 can negotiate safely. Some places are too steep to go straight up and down comfortably.

Looking for ideas from all you out there, short of renting a small dozer.

Ron

hard to say without pics. why not start a new thread on that with pics.

/ Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25 #12  
Anybody done this on hilly terrain? I have 21 AC of timber recently logged. My forest management plan to support the huge property tax deduction requires a certain level of management of the replanted forest (500 trees/AC). @! AC is too much for me to be tromping on foot at my age. In the sloped areas ; looking at using the BS w/ and w/o rippers to cut into the bank and work it out to a side slope my 25 can negotiate safely. Some places are too steep to go straight up and down comfortably.

Ron

Check out my thread "BXcavator" Dirt Moving BXcavator. I've been building a trail on some steep terrain with my bx25. Having owned a small Komatsu D20 dozer for about five years, I can say, that I prefer a mini-excavator (small trackhoe) for building hillside trails. IMO a trackhoe with a six way blade is the perfrect trail/roadbuilding machine. I must say that one must be decently experienced with their equipment and work in a methodical manner when cutting trails on steep terrain no matter what type of equipment they are running.

/ Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25 #14  
Careful on the slopes. My Dad just turned over my BX24 on not much of a slope. He was wearing his seatbelt and the rollbar was up. Or...he'd be dead now. Kubota1.jpgKubota2.jpg

/ Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25 #15  
Nice work! The BX can do quite a bit for it size, although it may take a little time at some things. Can ya think of any implements that would have made your job go a bit easier or better?

We closed on 13 acres of NE property and have the same chore to do. I have cleared some trees,but still have the stumps and roots as well as rocks to remove. I purchased a thumb, bucket tooth, belly pans,and brush forks,buthave not had a chance to try them. I have been itching too, but I am helping my mother out as she is not doing well,that will consume the rest of the summer and then some I am afraid. (selling out for medical assistance). It would also be hard to keep my mind on the task at hand due to these reasons. Being accident prone,I now realize at 48it may be best to stay off the heavy equiptment until I have ma resolved.

Glad you dad is OK Beemer, hope he learned from his mistake as second chances are hard to come by. Keep that bucket down at all cost.

/ Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25 #16  
Nice work! The BX can do quite a bit for it size, although it may take a little time at some things. Can ya think of any implements that would have made your job go a bit easier or better?

We closed on 13 acres of NE property and have the same chore to do. I have cleared some trees,but still have the stumps and roots as well as rocks to remove. I purchased a thumb, bucket tooth, belly pans,and brush forks,buthave not had a chance to try them. I have been itching too, but I am helping my mother out as she is not doing well,that will consume the rest of the summer and then some I am afraid. (selling out for medical assistance). It would also be hard to keep my mind on the task at hand due to these reasons. Being accident prone,I now realize at 48it may be best to stay off the heavy equiptment until I have ma resolved.

Glad you dad is OK Beemer, hope he learned from his mistake as second chances are hard to come by. Keep that bucket down at all cost.

Sorry to hear about your mother and don't want you to neglect her, but consider some tractor therapy for yourself also. Sometimes a little diversion is good medicine.

/ Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25 #17  

Sorry to hear about your mother and don't want you to neglect her, but consider some tractor therapy for yourself also. Sometimes a little diversion is good medicine.

/ Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25 #18  
Anybody done this on hilly terrain?

Ron

Yes, I made a low-tech road on very hilly terrain years ago. Before this project, it was dangerous moving tractors from the barn to the fields or woods- this was a very steep slope in places, and the road neatly traverses that slope now.
After talking with some cat skinners I knew about "technique," I cut the road with a 6' back blade on my old MF135-D. I started at the bottom (downhill) end and backed into the hillside, then lowered the blade and took a scoop out. The blade is a heavy Leinbach, adjustable at several points, so I stopped to exaggerate the angles as I worked up the hill and around curves. I did use the tractor's loader once in a while for big rocks, but it was nowhere near as good as the blade for the actual road work. It may have been the bonehead method compared to a dozer, but it worked surprisingly well, and the road is still in daily use by tractor, UTV and the occasional mountain bike. Suggestion; keep a Pulaski handy for roots- you'll need it! We spread some 3/4 minus rock on the road when done, and it has held up well.

/ Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25 #19  

Thanks for the kind comments, but after her stroke I thought some time away to get my mind off things would be good as well, ended up wacking myself with the chainsaw at the property working alone and getting 10 stiches, but no real damage fortunately. We'll work through it,I feel guilty if I am not doing something to help her. One of those times I gotta suck it up.

/ Road is in - Thumbs up to the little BX25 #20  
Careful on the slopes. My Dad just turned over my BX24 on not much of a slope. He was wearing his seatbelt and the rollbar was up. Or...he'd be dead now.View attachment 272665View attachment 272666
By the way the pics looked the bucket was up a little high. That is one thing you learn in the big equipment is to carry the bucket low, it doesn't take muck to turn it over.
Good thing is nobody got hurt.

Randy