Road tractor driving

/ Road tractor driving #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
How far is too far to drive the tractor on the road? I have my dk40 with industrials at my house doing some projects and adding some rear lights and I've got to get it back to the farm soon, which is 12 miles away. I usually borrow my in laws f250, go get the trailer from the farm and then take the tractor where it needs to go. I am thinking about just driving it back rather than having to go borrow the truck, then get the trailer, then come get the tractor. My only concern is the tire wear on the 12 mile trip. The industrials are slick enough and I'd rather not put unnecessary wear on them. Am I being a little too anxious by worrying about tire wear on 12 miles of road travel.

/ Road tractor driving #2  
Twelve miles on I assume payment would be a lot of wear on the tires. I would get the trailer. A little more time but less than the cost of replacing tires.

/ Road tractor driving #3  
Don't worry about it. I have R4s on my tractors and regularly drive them that far on the road to the local dealer for work. Can not tell any difference after 8 years. Dry rot will get mine before tire wear.

/ Road tractor driving
Cost wise, I'll spend much more in diesel getting the trailer as I always leave my in laws truck with a full tank, at least in the short term.

/ Road tractor driving #5  
I make trips of that distance several times a year. I'm not going to argue wear as it is obviously more than on dirt, but it has not been enough for me to worry.

It is the norm in my area to road rather than haul tractors.

/ Road tractor driving #6  
I really don't think the twelve miles will put that much wear on the tires - if you go at a reasonable speed. I would be more concerned about the idiots in cars.

Be sure you have your "slow moving vehicle" sign on the rear and all your lights illuminated & blinking.

I go help my neighbor annually clean out his calving pens. Fortunately, there is a back way, following old cow paths, so I've never had the Kubota on asphalt.

I had a couple really close calls with my previous tractor - out on the county road. Idiots going 60+ on a county road posted at 45.

/ Road tractor driving #7  
I don't concern myself with tire wear, just make sure your tires are aired up. Traffic is more of a concern, try to make the move when it is lightest part of the day and roads are dry.

/ Road tractor driving #8  
I've done several trips that distance with my Kubota. I have r1s, which wear considerably faster than r4s on pavement. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Your tractor will survive that trip and many more like it before wearing out the tires.

Make sure they are aired up, that your hazards work, your brakes are locked together, you're not in 4wd, and you're displaying a slow moving vehicle sign. Also, if anyone asks, you're driving an "implement of husbandry".

/ Road tractor driving #9  
For about 10 years I drove my Kubota B7500 half way around the block (country block, not city) during mowing season to cut MIL's 5 acres. I rigged a strobe in addition to the factory 4-ways. After getting the L3200 I take it to do snow removal at the church over a mile away. This tractor has more flashers and so far no issues.

IMG_1186_zps3fbza7kx.mp4 Video by jim_miller7 | Photobucket

/ Road tractor driving #10  
I would add that worn R4 tires as you have would be the least affected by pavement. If you had new R1 or rice and cane tires with tall aggressive tread those would wear faster but not near as much as the cost of filling a truck and all the other costs.