Robin Generator - No power

/ Robin Generator - No power
Iron Horse said:
The component on the right is a $2 transistor it could be a voltage regulator or a rectifier you will buy from Tandy or Jaycar . But what caused it to blow ? If your lucky the generator was overloaded and that may be all that is wrong with it . Can you see a partial number on it ?

Ironhorse. No identifying numbers at all I'm afraid. The small part is upside down. The other side of that part probably had the identifying details but its completely burnt and broken off.

/ Robin Generator - No power #22  
alchemysa said:
I said it would be like an archealogical dig and it was! Heres the 'find'.

Before I take it to the 'generator shop' and get laughed at does anyone want to hazard a guess what it is?

I had no idea what a to-220 was so i had to look it up.
TO220 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.WOW..Thumbnails!. Thats new!!!

That package should had a side that is flat inline with the case metalic tab, and another side with a bump out where the epoxy case is. The bump out side is where the ID number will be. If that is the side that is blown out.. you are SOL, and will need a parts list or schematic.

alchemysa said:
(P.S. Why do so-called experts always think the obvious answer to anything is to buy a new one for a $2000 instead if spending a few cents trying to fix the old one?)WOW..Thumbnails!. Thats new!!!

Uh.. I'm not sure what to make of that statement..

soundguy

/ Robin Generator - No power #23  
Iron Horse said:
The component on the right is a $2 transistor it ?

It could be alot of things... diode.. darlington pair.. etc.. Truth is.. in that package.. it could be lots of things.. that's whey he needs a part number / list / schematic.

soundguy

/ Robin Generator - No power #24  
Soundguy said:
It could be alot of things... diode.. darlington pair.. etc.. Truth is.. in that package.. it could be lots of things.. that's whey he needs a part number / list / schematic.

soundguy

Which he isn't going to get, as the manufacturer guards that info to make it purposefully difficult to get, so you have to buy that high dollar circuit board that cost them $5 to create en-mass...

/ Robin Generator - No power #25  
RonMar said:
Which he isn't going to get, as the manufacturer guards that info to make it purposefully difficult to get, so you have to buy that high dollar circuit board that cost them $5 to create en-mass...

You are surely right about that, Ron. The only way manufacturers can protect their design is to hide the component types and values. It's easiest to do that with ICs an components where they have their own proprietary numbers printed on the package.

In the case of a Robin generator, there are lots of Subaru-Robin generators still for sale and the board might be available from them if the generator can be identified. It might be cheaper to replace the whole generator with a new one that will bolt up to the engine.

A 2000W generator should not cost much more than $600 for the whole thing if bought new. A gnerator without the engine should be far less if you can find one. I have an old pressure washer with boiler and a 2000W generator attached. I rigged the generator so I can run lights at night off of it, but I haven't found much more use for that low power output.

/ Robin Generator - No power #26  
Whether schematics are available depends on the product type, the more computerized it is the less likely it is to be published. Generators are fairly simple and it wouldn't surprise me if schematics were available. This book claims to have Robin wiring schematics, but I don't know if they go down to the part numbers used.

Update: Here are some owners, parts, and service manuals that may help...

Soundguy said:
Uh.. I'm not sure what to make of that statement..

soundguy

I just meant that many shops don't seem to have much time for people who want to fix old stuff like this. It wasn't a comment about the helpful folks on this list.

/ Robin Generator - No power #28  
You might find an overall wiring diagram for the generator, but the AVR will be listed as a empty/black box. You can get the P/N for that board assembly, but I would doubt you will ever find a discrete component list for the AVR. This isn't really rocket science, but it can be made complicated depending on if any other control functions are piggybacked onto the AVR circuit.

On another forum I participate for slow speed engines, a few are working on a simple AVR circuit to enhance the simple harmonically excited generators a lot of us are using on our slowspeed engines. These generators don't use an AVR. It has a diode rectifyer pack and some brushes. It uses load dependent feedback from an extra set of stator windings to excite the field. Because of this it has a looser voltage tollerance. Mine goes from 125V down to 115V between no-load and full load, and this is mostly attributed to the RPM/freq droop from 62HZ down to 58HZ full load.

This freeware AVR they are working on will cost about $30 or so in parts to fabricate. The current plans can be downloaded and someone is working on getting circuit boards etched at a minimal cost, to aid in our home construction.

There are a bunch of different ways to excite and control a generator, that all the manufacturers circuits, and that particular burnt part, are going to be different. A good electroincs engineer with a way to make an educated guess at the other components on the board might be able to tell you what that damaged part is.

There are also a few generic AVR manufacturers out there, but knowing enough about the application to order one that would work, is the hard part...

/ Robin Generator - No power #29  
Soundguy said:

soundguy
Thats why i asked him if he could see a partial number so i could match it up with the listings in the book i have . alchemysa// What condition is the printed circuit in ? Will you be able to de-solder the old pins and re-solder the new transistor pins back on ? If they are burnt , scratched etc it's probably futile , i have bridged broken tracks before with solder or fine wire but the board needs to be really clean . That vibration preventitive the board is coated with looks pretty thick and challenging .

Iron Horse said:
Thats why i asked him if he could see a partial number so i could match it up with the listings in the book i have . alchemysa// What condition is the printed circuit in ? Will you be able to de-solder the old pins and re-solder the new transistor pins back on ? If they are burnt , scratched etc it's probably futile , i have bridged broken tracks before with solder or fine wire but the board needs to be really clean . That vibration preventitive the board is coated with looks pretty thick and challenging .

Iron horse. I didn't take a pic of the back of the circuit board but I'm pretty confident I'll be able to solder the 3 pin gizmo into place. I cleaned up the board pretty well with a Dremel engraver type of tool, and I can bridge a couple of places where I broke the track. The board is pretty big (About 2x4 inches) with very few components so its pretty roomy. Apart from the burnt component it looks like new. But my problem is identifying the 'thing'. The piece of the thing that got blown off had the identifying marks. (And theres no fractured little bits anywhere in the regulator box. I'm obviously not the first person to look.). Under a magnifying glass the only marking I can see appears to be a Hitachi logo.

I visited a generator shop today. The guy said he thought it was a silicon something or other. But he gave me the name of another guy across town who knows more about these boards. I hope to get over there in a day or two. This is a very old genset. Its a Robin 7hp engine, with Robin RG20 generator. I cant find a thing on the net about it. I was originally told it was 'Waibin' generator but I dont think thats correct. I can't find any info at all about 'Waibin'.

(Copy of Hitach logo attached)

Attachments

• hitachi-logo[1].jpg
    hitachi-logo[1].jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,020