Robin Generator - No power

/ Robin Generator - No power #41  
Good show!:D :D :D

It's always nice when you run into someone who has the knowledge and time to share.:D

/ Robin Generator - No power #42  
Put some sort of 'goop' over that (and the solder joints on the back) for protection. And not just anything, a lot of silicone rubber is not 'electronics safe'.

Oh, and get a little tube of heat sink grease (at Radio Shack or the Aussie equivalent), that ensures the SCR has good heat sinking. Be careful with it, though, is is conductive, and that tab on the SCR package where the nut goes is 'live'. Maybe your new buddy can give you some pointers.

Good on ya, mate.

/ Robin Generator - No power #43  
Now that is cool!

/ Robin Generator - No power #44  
As biggertensaid.. if the old scr used a mica insulator.. you also need to use one..

soundguy

/ Robin Generator - No power #45  
biggerten said:
Oh, and get a little tube of heat sink grease (at Radio Shack or the Aussie equivalent), that ensures the SCR has good heat sinking. Be careful with it, though, is is conductive, and that tab on the SCR package where the nut goes is 'live'. Maybe your new buddy can give you some pointers.

Good on ya, mate.

Normal heat sink grease- the clear silicone and the more common white zinc oxide grease are not conductive. There are electrically conductive thermal greases available but they aren't very common, at least not here in the US.

/ Robin Generator - No power #46  
Maybee he meant thermally conductive? in any case.. a mice or thermal rubber/silicone pad will be the ticket.. as well as a grommet to insulate the lock down screw..

soundguy

/ Robin Generator - No power #47  
alchemysa said:
Anyway I got the part, soldered it in, reconnected everything and fired it up.
Beautiful! I'm a happy man.. a 2000 watt generator for less than $50.. and I know nothing about electronics! And thanks for everone's interest.

To quote Rocket J. Squirrel, "Teeeerific!"

What a stroke of luck and a credit to your persistence.:)

/ Robin Generator - No power #48  
Skyco is correct, the stuff we used at work was electrically conductive and I used to broad of a stroke.

It's messy stuff, though, and you still should use the absolute minimum needed, a Sil-pad is a good alternative.