Rock Crushers For Tractors?

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #1  

GRUMPA

Gold Member
Tractor
KAMA/TS354C 35HP 4 cyl 4 wheel drive
Is there such a thing? I'm sitting here in the wee hours of the morning thinking of our move to the country. We have 4mi total of dirt road that nobody maintains, not even the county (poor county) but if I brought rock in at $350 a truckload for 15 tons (15 tons don't go far) that adds up fast. Just wondering with the combined wisdom floating around here if there is something available for the smaller tractor in the 35hp area. Rock is one thing we are not in short supply there. But they are kinda to big to think of driving over them all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #2  
I can't imagine you could ever compete crushing rock to make gravel. Here in S. Indiana, crush stone sell for $170 for a tri-axel of 20 tons. This line stone country though and I live 2 mi from the 'crusher'.

If it is a county road, you just have to press hard to get your road maintaned. Much beter than doing it your self. In your request for gravel, you can offer to grade the road. Most need for gravel is due to lack of ditches, grading and good crown.

Patrick

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it is a county road, you just have to press hard to get your road maintaned. )</font>

Been to the county already for just over 2 yrs and just like a typical county office they state "we only have to provide access" they wont even consider anything else.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Most need for gravel is due to lack of ditches, grading and good crown.
)</font>

The soil up there is very heavy clay, the type that when driven over turns even the most agressive off road tires into SLICKS , and if you have to stop, heaven help you, I've watched the guy 2 lots over open his gate and TRY to get the truck to move, it's like driving on a sheet of ice. Most if not all of northeastern AZ is on the very remote side and thus making things more expensive to haul vs. most other folk. Plus as an added bonus they charge you per ton per mile once off the pavement and on dirt road. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thats was one of the links I looked at earlier. Most of there info on it is very non-specific. Also I couldn't get a good clear look at any of the pictures (what little they had). If someone came up with an attachment like this for a tractor I'm sure he could make a fortune. I figured someone somewhere knows of one, HECK they got so many attachments for tractors out there its unreal, I just figured this just might be one of them.

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #6  
Another link that has some pictures. You'll need to download the pdf pages for this section and scroll down to rock crushers. I believe they are around 8-900 lbs electric powered. You might could arrange to buy one without motor and power with PTO? A google might turn up more.

Oh believe me I've done the google part from different word combos. The electric ones are nice but I'm on solar and cant really generate that much power. If I do like you suggested and see about one without the motor that just might be feasible but I have no idea as to how much torque they can handle from a tractor. The largest one they sell has a 3hp motor, my tractor puts out 35hp. Will it turn out to be a can of worms if I try it? perhaps a little investigation on my part is in order.

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #8  
It's possible that even if the county won't actually pour and grade the gravel, that they would buy it for you. Even if they won't buy it for you, since you are working on a county road, they may at least let you use their purchasing department to get a very good deal on the work (or the materials). Just a thought.

Cliff

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #9  
I like cliffs idea, maybe go in wiht the enibors to pay for all the materials and see if the county will supply while you and neibors would assist where possable? never know if they would go for it or not. at least they should be willing to haul it for a smaller fee than paying someone else too! keep pushing and get the neibors in on this,

for rock crushing I would want somethign that was independant so I could load/unload it with the tractors FEL and then place . not sure where you would get the rock supply if it is in one spot such as dry creek or spread all over if it is then maybe make the crusher mobile and pick & crush the lenght of the road as you go... also see if you could get some of the fabric uncer it first that woudl help tons of rock from sinking into that clay... next would be to keep it maintained and like I said if this is a small community road for say 10 or so people then you need to get them all into helping don't try and do it all you're self. if a few are unable or unwilling to help then make sure and repair the bad parts that they will have to drive over last /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif unless they are unable then well it is something nice to help those who can't help temselves... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would look for a small gas engine to power it and that way it will be independant of the PTO and will make you're life easier.

MarkM /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #10  
Around here, a road this long would need about 9,000 tons of rock to build a decent road. That's a lot of rock, so you might want to talk to your pit again and see if they would discount the material. $350 is a lot for 15 tons around here, but we have several rock pits. Also consider purchasing the rock yourself and then hiring a local trucker that's not busy to haul it. You should be able to save some money going this route.

Anyway you cut it, it's a lot of material and it won't be cheap. I'd also talk with your neighbors and see about some financial assistance. If I was your neighbor in this instance, I'd share in the cost of rocking the road.

Have you looked into highway grants or ? to rock your road? There are a lot of grant opportunities out there for a lot of things and there might be something to fit your situation. If your road contributes sediment to streams with fish, there may be programs that would help pay to fix your road and keep sediment out of streams? We have a multitude of programs like this centered around salmon recovery efforts and they are extremely beneficial to small landowners.