Rock Crushers For Tractors?

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors?
If you look at the corner of my project this is about the average size of the rock. Mind you those are 8x8x16" block, all of which are volcanic. You should try and get those little goobers out of the road, I call the rockbergs because just like icebergs only 10% of them stick up above the ground. Bent many a machinery moving bars getting some of them out. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

AndyMA,

Was going thru google and came up with this and thought somewhere there just might be one that does the same thing but made for a tractor that does a faster job. You might find it interesting.

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #23  
Grumpa, when you start adding up the numbers, crushing your own gravel is a daunting chore. As a previous poster noted, you would need 9000 tons. If you could crush 4 tons a day, it would still take you six years just to crush the material if you worked 8 hr per day and 365 days per year. I think you most likely would be able to crush a ton or less with anything attached to your tractor. That doesn't count collection and stockpiling the crushed material. Even if the 9000 tons is off, half or one-third that amount is still an unbelievable task.

I used to work for the geology department of a university. They had a small crusher that could crush 3"-4" diameter rocks. It was something donated by a mining company. The machine was about 3' square and 4' tall. If you scale that up to handle 16" rocks, you end up with a huge machine. I don't think a tractor is going to be able to run or haul a machine that can do that.

I think I'd be looking for some federal or state help. You really need a grant to help with a task this size. If you had more acreage, you could apply under the Great Plains programs that help farmers build fences, ponds, and soil conservation projects. "Great Plains" was the name they used to have and may have changed. You need about 60 acres or more to qualify and they will pay 75%. This program may have even gone away due to budget cuts, but it would be worth your time to talk to the Dept. of Agriculture to see if it still exists.

If you can't come up with a good solution, you may find yourself parking your car/truck 4 miles away in bad weather and using an ATV to get to your house. It ain't the best solution, but it's a lot better than getting stuck in muck all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #24  
GRUMPA
I know what you are talking about! I was out there last spring riding a dual sport motorcycle on your county roads. I was staying in Cottonwood, Ar. I was beat up at the end of every day on the rock in the roads. You cant tell how bad the roads are just looking at the pictures, they are terrible!! And I was on a dirt bike! I cant imagine driving a vehicle on those Arizona roads very far. Its 10 miles dirt road to my home here in the NC mountains but its nothing like the roads of rock in Arizona. You are right, if you could just crush the rock you have in the road to gravel you would not have to leave the area.
Sherpa

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #25  
Would it suffice to have a device that would fracture or plane the rock level with the ground?

At least it might help driving over them.

I realize you would like gravel, but I agree with the group that it may not be practical for the volume you are looking for with 30hp.

jinman,

Thats an avenue I never even considered (the time involved) you hit the nail on the head with that. Guess I'll have to go down there in person (again) and rattle some cages to see what kind of options exist. Been going there off and on for 2yrs with no success so far. Maybe if I'm persistent and can somehow get past the gal at the front desk maybe something can happen.

WhiteRock,

Not all of the 4mi of road are rocky, its kinda a 50-50 mix. I was thinking to leave the larger ones in the dirt and laying gravel over them so when the ground is wet the vehicles wont just push the gravel into the clay soil. There's places where the soil is gone and your driving over sheets of sandstone which makes for a bumpy ride.

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #28  
one thing you may want to try would be one of the heavy spinning hammer type pulverizors to knock down the tops of the rocks sticking up this would also make some gravel too. something slimlar to a roto tiller but with single pivioting blades which can swing/piviot back/forth as they spin around the center shaft. gear driven at each end or from one end.

it would take a beating and would need to be maintained a lot but hey it would also be an experiment. make the pivioting bars form some 1x2 or 1x3" steel mounted around say a 3" x1/4" pipe. heavy bearings at each end and drive chain. 60 or maybe even an 80 size.on the end of the 1" weld a T similar to a flail mower with a cutting edge on the forward facing side...

not sure if that would work or not, sure would make some noise! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif needless to say it would also toss some debris a ways!

MarkM

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #29  
Grumpa,
I work for a large manufacturing company that makes crushing equipment for the aggregate industry. To crush rock of that size will require a crusher too large to be powered by a tractor. As stated by Jinman, even if you found a machine that could handle rocks of that size, it would take an eternity to make enough gravel for road maintenance. Small impactor type crushers require the rock to be less than 3 inches, to handle rocks of your size would require them to be ran through a jaw type crusher to reduce them to a more manageable size.

/ Rock Crushers For Tractors? #30  
Besides crushing the stuff, you need to control the gradation of particle sizes. This calls for a series of screens and conveyors. All in all a rock crushing operation is Heavy Industry.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Much of which I can't even move with my 44,000 lb excavator. : )</font>

The tool for that big stuff is dynamite. Fire in the Hole!