ROPS Customization

/ ROPS Customization #21  
sunnyside360 said:
There are a lot of good responses to my question. I'm currently in Raleigh, NC for a couple of weeks and will try some of the ideas given here when I get back to Central PA (home) next week. Many thanks to all for taking the time to answer. I will let you know what I wound up doing to alleviate the problem.

Not to be morbid, but your insurance policy could decide not to cover you if you are killed or injured on a tractor with a MODIFIED ROP...:eek:

/ ROPS Customization #22  
the other thought that came to mind was to put one of those tall whip flags on the front of the tractor like on kid's bikes as a reminder to fold the ROPS down.

/ ROPS Customization #23  
I don't know if my solution would help or not. I made a large florsent red flag that I hang on the door handle 24 X 30 with a pin attached to it. When I open the door I push it on up as far as I can were I have a hole drilled through the track. I then put the pin into the hole to hold the door up. and the flag is removed.
I only had my tractor two days before I forgot and hit the door. I was able to repair the door. they are wooden.

/ ROPS Customization #24  
This may not be a concern for you but I thought I would mention it. Dealers have openly said on the forum they will not take a trade in tractor with a modified ROPS or the trade value will be reduce by the amount it will cost them to replace the ROPS with an unmodified one. Factory ROPS designs have to be tested to meet government safety standards. A modified ROPS has not been tested to meet those standards and really opens up a business to liabilities for knowingly selling a tractor without approved safety equipment if something were to happen. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure many here are capable of modifying a ROPS to be as strong as or stronger than factory. I would also guess that it would not be an issue to all dealers if the ROPS were modified. It is worth considering though.

As side story, I have a Kubota B21 with FOPS, four post ROPS with canopy, that the top bracket on a front post broke. No rollover or accident. I was going to have it welded when someone on the forum suggested I contact Kubota just to make them aware of the problem. The tractor was years out of warranty so I was not asking for a replacement. After writing Kubota a regional rep contacted me asking which dealer would be the most convenient for me to take the tractor to for a free replacement post. The broken part was to be sent back to the factory for testing to see why it failed.

Now I suspect that Kubota does not routinely replace parts on a tractor that is five years out of warranty unless there are liability issues related to safety items.

MarkV

/ ROPS Customization #25  
MarkV said:
I was going to have it welded when someone on the forum suggested I contact Kubota just to make them aware of the problem. The tractor was years out of warranty so I was not asking for a replacement. After writing Kubota a regional rep contacted me asking which dealer would be the most convenient for me to take the tractor to for a free replacement post. The broken part was to be sent back to the factory for testing to see why it failed.

Now I suspect that Kubota does not routinely replace parts on a tractor that is five years out of warranty unless there are liability issues related to safety items.

MarkV

Some manufactureres really jump throuh hoops if it is a safey issue.

Your point about the trade in is a very good one. Most dealers would be very wary to sell a tractor that has a modified ROPS or other safety circuit.

Some one suggested a wind chime. Not a bad idea. If you want to get sophisticated, Banner company makes a bunch of really neat photo eye and laser sensors that could be mounted and used to set off a warning (automobile) horn.

/ ROPS Customization #26  
The question I had when reading this is why is the folding ROPS taller than the fixed ROPS on my B7800? A fixed ROPS would have fit through my door, but when you get the mid-mount PTO on the 7800 the folding ROPS was standard.
Like many others, my ROPS stays folded when it should be up. Particularly when plowing snow and I don't want to stand around outside without gloves to put it up.

/ ROPS Customization #27  
plaindave said:
The question I had when reading this is why is the folding ROPS taller than the fixed ROPS on my B7800? A fixed ROPS would have fit through my door, but when you get the mid-mount PTO on the 7800 the folding ROPS was standard.
Like many others, my ROPS stays folded when it should be up. Particularly when plowing snow and I don't want to stand around outside without gloves to put it up.

I mentioned it was because of the BH. MAkes sense, otherwise why would they be different??

That's a good point.

/ ROPS Customization #28  
plaindave said:

An imaginary line drawn from the top of the hood to the top of the ROPS should always be over the operator's head.

Imagine with a MMM and a sideways tip...that's why you need a higher ROPS with the midmount PTO...

/ ROPS Customization #29  
I live in flat Florida, have never turned a tractor over, do my own welding, and would not do this. I would park the tractor outside before I would do that.
David from jax