Box Scraper Rotary Cutter & Box Blade Questions

/ Rotary Cutter & Box Blade Questions #21  
   / Rotary Cutter & Box Blade Questions
greg_g said:
Now you're getting way too complicated, and foolish if you believe that 10hp bit. I'm going to bow out now, because I believe your decision to widen the track to operate on hillsides you've never even driven on yet, has compromised the ability to match implements to horsepower.

//greg//

Thank you. Everything you say makes perfect sense. However both Kubota dealer and Ford dealer recommended turning tires after visiting property. As I bought tractor in Alabama it was impossible to transport home to test as I felt it more imperative to have Ford-New Holland dealer check it out. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

/ Rotary Cutter & Box Blade Questions #23  
No problem. It's just that I'm only 120 miles NW of you, so I know the lay of the land. I'm pretty sure my WKY river bluffs are no less steep that what you have around Auburntown. I've adjusted my front/rear track widths to be equal - been that way for years - and I just can't see a situation where such a front/rear disparity such as yours would be any advantage (without duals that is).

Going up/down hill there's absolutely no advantage whatsoever. Where the stability of width comes into play, is when you put yourself into a situation where you have to operate parallel to a significant grade. My equal front/rear track widths cope quite nicely with some of the 60% grades I have to work. Sideways.

Not telling you to be unsafe now, but I'm thinking that maybe you're just being a little over-cautious. And in doing so, have made it difficult to competently match implements to horsepower. Remember I said you want to cover your tracks, and a 9-10 foot mower is a lot for 45 PTO hp. Same with a box blade. You'd need no less than an 8 footer, in which a full load is capable of stalling 50 engine hp. And the list goes on.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter & Box Blade Questions #24  
Maybe I should read more carefully. If your going to operate on steep inclines I would be very careful. I have a 33 horse tractor and it can run a 6 foot brush cutter. However, I mow a very steep pond bank so I use a 4 foot mower to keep from being pushed with weight of the mower. As to the 10 HP because of the front wheels being able to pull that is just a thing that goes around here. No scientific data there.
I do know this that it most certainly gives much better pulling power because all wheels are pulling. I have had the thing spin the rear wheels on a very gentle slope, put it in FWD and it goes right along.
As I stated if you haven't had a lot of experience BE VERY CAREFUL on slopes.

/ Rotary Cutter & Box Blade Questions #25  
greg_g said:
My equal front/rear track widths cope quite nicely with some of the 60% grades I have to work. Sideways.

//greg//

Whoa! Dude, you must clank when you walk having b---s that big! I about wet my pants on anything over 25-30%. Especially when hitting a hole, rock or other thing that quickly changes the tilt. Had to iron out the pucker nucker from the seat a couple times too.

jb

/ Rotary Cutter & Box Blade Questions #26  
You might be confusing angle with slope. It's a trig thing. Flat = no slope, 45 degrees = 100% slope. A 30 degree hillside therefore represents a 58% slope. Some of the rightaway I mow is steeper than 30 degrees, therefore at least a 60% slope. If in fact you have them reversed, a 22.5 degree angle represents a 50% slope.

//greg//

Last edited: