Rotary Cutters

/ Rotary Cutters #11  
My only question is re. the duty category. Are they both heavy duty, or light duty, or medium duty? It's good to make sure you're comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges. I also agree with the slip clutch. IMHO, that's preferable to a shear pin.

/ Rotary Cutters #12  
And another thing, check weights of both cutters and guage of decks
Jim
:)

/ Rotary Cutters
Looks like Woods has some work to do on the gear box. Has anyone else had similar problems.

/ Rotary Cutters #14  
IHUNT said:
Looks like Woods has some work to do on the gear box. Has anyone else had similar problems.

FarmWithJunk has but I can't remember the exact issues.

/ Rotary Cutters #15  
From what i have seen here (tbn) & next door @ lawnsite, woods has changed hands quite a few times over the years and the quality of the rotary cutters is not what it once was? I have a 15 series landpride thats been great, i put it through severe duty year after year and she still runs great!

/ Rotary Cutters #16  
I would just buy a Howse at about half the price.

mark

/ Rotary Cutters #17  
I have a 72in medium duty Land Pride rotary cutter that I run with a 35hp CUT. When I first got it, I was brutal with it. I was cutting anything I could run over, from super tall grass, blackberries, vines and small trees. It tore it all up and then some!!! I also tore up the cutter pretty bad. I've had to replace the drive shaft twice, three sets of blades, the tail wheel and the gear box. The gear box had a three year warrantee that was replaced for free. My deck is cracked in multiple locations that I've patched and rewelded. I've busted dozens on sheer pins and always keep several in my tool box.

I just told my dealer that my gearbox was making a very loud whining noise. He said to keep using it as it was shot anyway and when he got a new gear box in, he'd replace it. Since getting the new gear box, I've stoped cutting down trees with it and use it mostly for maintenance and extreme weeds.

I don't know about other brands, but doubt many people are gonna be as abusive on it like I was. Having admitted to all this, I'd buy the same cutter again. There's probably other brands that are stronger and would hold up better, but I kinda doubt that any brand would have made it through those years of abuse without similar damage.

Now that I have things under control, I rarely use my rotary cutter. I have a 84 inch Land Pride Finish Mower that I use for just about all my mowing. I wasn't looking for Land Pride when I bought it, but just got lucky when a client asked me if I was interested in buying a used mower.

Kubota now sells Land Pride products and parts.

Eddie

/ Rotary Cutters #18  
I have a Woods BB72 and it is my last Woods mower. I have had nothing but trouble with it and woods has been no help. I have been satisfied with their products in the past but they have lost me as a customer. It's a shame these companies do not care about their customer base anymore. I have bought 3 mowers and a box blade and post hole digger from them but they wouldn't help me with this brushbull. It is a piece of trash in my opinion.

/ Rotary Cutters #19  
My first LandPride was a 1560 and I tore it up. Total abuse. Now even my dealer was impressed :) This was due to beating it hard in an orchard. The 15 series is the "light duty" version and weighs about 500 pounds. The 18 series is the "Medium" version. It has additional welds that help the deck put up with the every day torture (hitting trees, etc) that I give it.

There is a "Heavy duty" version for commercial guys, and they really mean it. In vineyard land out here the growers will use the rotary cutters or a rototiller for extended periods of times. These guys weigh like 900 pounds vs. 600. They also cost $2000 and up. My local dealer has a 36" rototiller, HD, that he sells for over $2500 and can't keep them in stock! The average person in the USA uses a rototiller for less then 8 hours per year. This is why I have an ugly looking but functional Agrc. All I need. The HD guys are used 30-40 hours for weeks on end.

Back to the RC1860-it is medium duty and just a terrific mower deck! Get it with a clutch.

/ Rotary Cutters #20  
I've got a MD172 that I bought used with a bad gearbox seal. After a weekend of work and $25 worth of oil and seals I'm up and running, total cost of less than $300 for the now running mower. Needless to say I can't complain... If the seal goes out again I'll fix it or as others have done just pump it full of grease.

Also I have no problem pulling a 72" cutter with my L3400.