Rotary Cutters

/ Rotary Cutters #21  
You can put a 72" rotary mower on a L3010 with no issue-other than additional cost.

/ Rotary Cutters #22  
Buster57 said:
My first LandPride was a 1560 and I tore it up. Total abuse. Now even my dealer was impressed :) This was due to beating it hard in an orchard. The 15 series is the "light duty" version and weighs about 500 pounds. The 18 series is the "Medium" version. It has additional welds that help the deck put up with the every day torture (hitting trees, etc) that I give it.

There is a "Heavy duty" version for commercial guys, and they really mean it. In vineyard land out here the growers will use the rotary cutters or a rototiller for extended periods of times. These guys weigh like 900 pounds vs. 600. They also cost $2000 and up. My local dealer has a 36" rototiller, HD, that he sells for over $2500 and can't keep them in stock! The average person in the USA uses a rototiller for less then 8 hours per year. This is why I have an ugly looking but functional Agrc. All I need. The HD guys are used 30-40 hours for weeks on end.

Back to the RC1860-it is medium duty and just a terrific mower deck! Get it with a clutch.

Over here most of the vineyard owners have changed to flail style mowers for in the vineyards and everywhere. They do an amazing job destroying the wood trimmed off.

/ Rotary Cutters #23  
Any body ever had a JD bushhog?? Do they have higher blade tip speed then the others?

/ Rotary Cutters #24  
inseeme said:
Any body ever had a JD bushhog?? Do they have higher blade tip speed then the others?

I have used an older John Deere brush chopper before. It was a 5' light duty model with slip clutch and all I was doing was cutting pasture and some thorn bushes that grew up there. It gave a great cut but was a light duty cutter and looked it. I will say this, after using that cutter I would strongly consider buying a Deere cutter when I look for my Woods replacement this spring.

/ Rotary Cutters #25  
I have a MX84 for two years. I use it on everything from pasture to heavy brush. Ihave to replace the blades on it know because it hit so many stones. It does a nice job cutting. Would buy another one. I am looking into a used woods 10 footer for lighter duty cuttng. The tip speed is higher on the JD if I remember right.
Renovator.

/ Rotary Cutters #26  
I have a Woods BB60 which I am very happy with. No problems at all. Woods has impressed me because they are very quick to respond to email. How they would respond to a real problem - I have no clue.

I have an L3400 as well and if I were to do it again I would get a 72" rotary cutter as it will be a foot larger than the rear tires (60") and would be much easier around fencelines and such. The tractor will handle a 72" no problem at all.

/ Rotary Cutters #27  
I have a Woods BB600. The 5' medium duty cutter, with the front and rear chains it's about 1150 pounds. It has broken blades, but nothing else. I use it to cut trails thru the woods and trim the current roads. It has cut 3" poplar, and the same size soft woods without problems. When I say that, I mean it was cutting 3" poplar on 3' centers for 1-200 yards. It's done larger, but it's real hard to push them over, so I try and avoid them. The gear box does tend to get milky oil in it from water infiltration, but I check the level and if it starts to get milky I flush and fill. Never a problem with the gear box, seals or anything else. It's real smooth, except when a blade is broke....

It has run over stumps, rocks, tires, firewood, trees, brush, branches and on odd occasions even grass. No complaints. It's been tough. My neighbor sells blades to county crews and he has not relayed any systematic issues with Woods cutters from them. They use the 1000 series, 7200 or 8400 and like the blade retention system as it saves a lot of time. The 10 series does not use that system, sorry.

I have been schooled to never drag a cutter thru the dirt, operating or not. The side load is bad for them. Maybe that's one reason it's held up well? Dunno, just glad it is holding up well.

It does tend to shoot clippings out the front. I thought it was just due to the shielding being all tore off from the rocks, stumps, etc. But Farmwithjunk complains about that with his Woods BB also - might be a trait of the deck design.

As far as needing to be shimmed??? I'd agree, that rep isn't as valuable as shoe scrapings after crossing a pig pen.

jb

/ Rotary Cutters #28  
Has anyone ever run over an old T-post with their brush cutter? If so, how bad was the damage, if any? Will it typically be as simple as replacing a broken blade or two, or does it tend to cause more damage? Or will a shear pin usually snap before things get too torn up?

/ Rotary Cutters #29  
bandit67 said:
Has anyone ever run over an old T-post with their brush cutter? If so, how bad was the damage, if any? Will it typically be as simple as replacing a broken blade or two, or does it tend to cause more damage? Or will a shear pin usually snap before things get too torn up?

It depends on your mower but the few times I have hit metal pieces I have been fine. The only thing you really have to worry about with a brush chopper is wire as it can get wrapped around the shaft and tear up your seal.

Rocks and metal are never good for your cutter but usually they won't do any destructive damage.

/ Rotary Cutters #30  
bandit67 said:

Any volunteers? :D