Rotella question??

/ Rotella question?? #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
I have a NH TC29D, and was wondering if Rotella products would be ok to use in it?? Im talking about engine oil, hydraulic fluid, and coolant. I have always heard great things about rotella, and my local NAPA store carries their products. I know the manual suggests New Holland lubricants.. But it would be much easier if I could use the Rotella products. Thanks for any input...
-Brad

/ Rotella question?? #2  
"Rotella" is Shell oil's name for a motor oil. Other Shell lubricants have other names like Rimula, Donax, Spirax, etc.

I have used 15-40 Rotella T in just about everything from Diesel tractors to my Honda powered trash pump.

I also use Spirax 85-140 GL5 gear oil and Tellus e.p spindle lubricant in my machine tools.

Recently, I switched on the recommendation of a ASC certified mechanic friend of mine to Delo 1200 15-40. He told me that the Delo causes less varnish in a diesel internally than Rotella. It's also a little cheaper here in Michigan. As far as oils go, regular changes and filters along with using the proper API certified oil to match the engine manufactures specifications will keep you out of trouble.

/ Rotella question?? #3  
When I had my 50 hour service done, the service manager at my New Holland dealer asked if I would be changing the oil in the future. When I said "yes", he said he had used Rotella for the 50 hour change, and strongly recommended Rotella for my changes. I used the Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic at the 150 hour change, and plan to stay with it.

By the way, coming up on 4 months of ownership (in about 4 days); will pass 200 hours by then.

/ Rotella question?? #4  
Don,

Just to make me feel better...or worse...does your hour meter clock actual operating hours or is it tachometer hours?

My Kubota clocks tachometer hours...so I only get one operating hour for each hour that I run at full rear PTO rpm. That means to get one hour clocked for each actual hour of operation I need to have the engine running at about 2600 rpm.

Normally I run 2,000 to 2,200 max. Often less. So with a lot of use over the last year I only have about 210 hours on the hour meter...while actual hours of use in human time was much more...

You are sure making me feel like a tractor wimp! Tell me it's not true! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Rotella question?? #5  
From the NH manual: "Proof Meter - records the hours and portions of hours your tractor has been operated based on an average engine speed of 1833 RPM. Engine speeds below 1833 RPM accumulate eninge hours at a slower rate than clock hours. Engine speeds above 1833 RPM accumulate engine hours faster than clock hours."

I tend to run most of the time around 1800 RPM, so the hour meter should be fairly close. Since we're still developing the property, we don't do much mowing, which is around 2400 RPM or so to get 540 PTO RPM on the TC18. I do boost the RPM's when I need some extra "oomph". Just today, I was stretching about 400' of pasture fence, and kicking it up to about 2600 let me pull it another 6" or so - then quick on the brake - that fence is really tight! I don't run very often below 1800, so the hour meter is probably running a little "fast" - my guess is about 10% - so my clock hours are probably around 180. That's only about 45/month, or a little more than 11/week. That's not so much. It gets used for something almost every day. If you count the hours it was useful, like today, sitting still and holding the fence tight for several hours while we stapled it all, the time would be much higher.

/ Rotella question?? #6  
Don,

That is REALLY interesting!

This is the first mention that I have ever seen of an hour meter clocking operating hours faster than real time hours!

/ Rotella question?? #7  
Bill, it makes sense, if you think about it - the NH manual recommends an average working RPM of 1800 or so. If you run it slower, you're not working it as hard. If you run it faster, you're working it harder, so the proof meter should run up the hours faster, so you get it serviced sooner, due to the harder use.

/ Rotella question?? #8  
I run chevron delo 10w-30 in my engine. and mystik jt-7 in the frt end.
i do use kubota UDT for transmission.

i am probably going to go to rotella 15w-40 after the next oil change just because it's easier to find.

/ Rotella question?? #9  
never heard of that also? mine goes by pto speed, at pto speed it is pretty accurate but below that it clocks slower.

/ Rotella question?? #10  
<font color="blue"> Bill, it makes sense, if you think about it </font>

Don and all,

By the NH definition that you gave it certainly makes sense.

But I am not sure if it does in the world of tractors that I preceive...then again I've never been accused of living totally in the reality that most other's live in... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To this point I had only heard of hour meters keeping accurate real time, or running slower if engine rpm was less than what was needed to drive the rear pto at 540 rpm. At first THAT was strange to me, but it started to make sense and I accepted it as reasonable...

Now why you would want to accelerate hours on a tractor that was running an implement at design speed...well, that one is going to take more time than the first one did to seem reasonable in my mind!