Rotella question??

/ Rotella question?? #11  
Henro,
Could this be explained by the higher reving engine wearing out sooner. Older tractor engines ran about 1800-2000 RPM for PTO speed. The newer engines on CUT's run more RPM's to achieve PTO speed. It would seem that the hours numbers are being tinkered with to make the engine seem to last more hours than it really does. Just a thought....

/ Rotella question?? #12  
This is just my opinion. I think an hour meter should register and hour in an hour, regardless of RPMs.

Which would be worse, 100 hours of idling or 100 hours of running at PTO speed? I know you're not going to idle for 100 hours. I just used that scenario to make my point.

As I said, this is just my opinion. It's not worth anything but hey, it's free /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Rotella question?? #13  
I work on a fleet of heavy trucks and tach hours are clock hours.
We use Exxon(Mobil) XD-3 Extra 15w40 in all of our trucks and off road equipment from compactors to dozers. We oil sample at every service of 250 hours. The samples always come back good as far as the oil is concerned. Might be a good idea to get an oil sample on occasion. I pay $7.50 per sample, but buy in bulk. I would say you could expect to pay $12-13 for a single sample. That would tell you if the oil you are using is getting the job done. We did use Amoco several years ago, the Exxon is lots better by comparison.
The off road equipment, Cat, Deere, Komatsu, all run clock hours. They are all construction equipment and not ag, so there might be a difference there.

/ Rotella question?? #14  
I just bought some Rotella 15W40 for my tractor. Funny thing, its the only diesel oil I can find around here (other than the dealer).

/ Rotella question?? #15  
"I have always heard great things about rotella, and my local NAPA store carries their products. I know the manual suggests New Holland lubricants.. But it would be much easier if I could use the Rotella products."

Nothing wrong with Rotella; it's all I've ever used and like you said, it can be found at NAPA, along with TSC, auto parts stores, truck stops, etc.

/ Rotella question?? #16  
It would be interesting to see a performance comparison of all the different oils out there. There sure are a lot of them (including different ones made by the same manufactuer) and most of them are pretty close to the same price.

/ Rotella question?? #17  
I posted earlier on performance reporting jd did. It's interesting to note that most OEM's use mobil products. Alot of info came out when the ch-4 was in the PC-9 stage chevron put out a video and did alot of research i use to have a tape and it had extensive testing of products it was amazing the info they got out of otr engines in different countrys and different product specs.

In short my money's on mobil or chevron.. rotella is too weak too many reports and articles i've seen.

/ Rotella question?? #18  
Shady,

Which reports have reported problems with Rotella? Everything I have ever seen had Rotella ranked right up there at the top.

/ Rotella question?? #19  
Bill:

The hour meter on my 5030 is electrical. It records actual time. I never heard of a speeding up slowing down hour meter either. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Rotella question?? #20  
Mrwurm:

If you want Delo, go to a truck stop near you. Speedways, TA's and Pilots all carry it. It should be cheaper in a truck stop or diesel fuel stop than at the auto parts store.

By the way, don't use it in your HARDLEY DAVISON. It's not heavy enough, it will probably run out on the ground!!!!