Rotella question??

/ Rotella question?? #21  
Richard:

In all the years I owned my own trucks (class 8 diesels), I did have one problem with Rotella T. About 10 years ago, I bought 5 cases and one of the cases of oil was a different color than the rest. It was an extremely light amber, almost clear. I called Shell in Bayonne New Jersey and talked to a quality control technician there. I explained the color difference and was instructed to send them the case COD. I was sent a certificate for $100.00 if I remember correctly. The tech told me that he believed the additive package wasn't added to a batch of oil, but I never heard one way or another.

I had a couple of Cummins' 855 cid Big Cam I's that would'nt run any other oil other than 15-40 Rotella. If I tried another oil, the consumption would go right through the roof. That leads me to believe that sticking with one particular brand of oil is the way to go be it Delo, Rotella or for that matter, Murray's special blend.

/ Rotella question?? #22  
Mrwurm:

Any oil that carries an API rating CC or CD or SE is diesel oil.

I can't resist this.....

Any oil that is THICK is Hardley oil, I mean Harley oil however!!!

/ Rotella question?? #23  
90% of the tractors running out there only have a mechanical connection for the hour meter. How can they be any other way but faster when the engine is running faster, or slower when it's idling? That's the way it's always been. Hour meters mostly run 'on time' at about pto speed, while most tractors have a redline somewhat above pto speed.

Only in the last 20 years or so have electronics come around to where they could do a real-time hour meter. Since an hour of idling is not the same as an hour of pulling a 5 bottom plow, I'd not see the point? A mechanical drive shows tractor usage, when you get to 5000 hours it's time to think about getting some work done. With an electronic hour meter, you don't know how hard the tractor has been worked.

--->Paul

/ Rotella question?? #24  
Daryl, seems you are having a great time poking some fun at me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm glad I can be of service /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Also, I had an old Ford truck (1980 F150) that had absolutely no oil pressure unless I filled it with straight 30 weight and added this thick goop called 'Motor Honey'. The engine had about 100,000 miles on it. I bought this truck from the local school system. I have since learned that the municipal drivers start the vehicles once in the morning and don't shut'm down for any reason till the end of the day. Kinda strange to me, but that truck musta done alot of idling /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Rotella question?? #25  
Jerry:

You are a very easy target. Besides, since you are a Micihgander like me, I know you can take it!!!

/ Rotella question?? #26  
Jerry:

You probably could have used "Harley Oil" It's 50 weight. You could have forgone the motor honey. Besides, the empty Harley motor oil cans are collectable!!!