Round Baler Recommendations

/ Round Baler Recommendations #1  

Ridersupfarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 7060
Looking for recommendation on a new utility 4x5 baler. Our needs are basic as we bale for our horse boarding farm which generally harvests between 200 and 250 rolls per season over 2 or 3 cuts. Reliability a must as well as ability to roll low moisture hay suitable for horses. Please do not recommend New Holland's Roll Belt 450. We are in the process of getting rid of one we purchased last year that has been a complete disaster for us.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #2  
Looking for recommendation on a new utility 4x5 baler. Our needs are basic as we bale for our horse boarding farm which generally harvests between 200 and 250 rolls per season over 2 or 3 cuts. Reliability a must as well as ability to roll low moisture hay suitable for horses. Please do not recommend New Holland's Roll Belt 450. We are in the process of getting rid of one we purchased last year that has been a complete disaster for us.

I would be looking for the best dealer, then look at the brands they sell.
I like Hesston/Massey

/ Round Baler Recommendations
I agree. However, you can have the best dealer in the state but if the baler is a dog it doesn't matter. Our dealer was pretty good, responsive etc but the baler was a real problem. You know the old adage, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. We are looking to start with a model that has a good track record.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #4  
I agree. However, you can have the best dealer in the state but if the baler is a dog it doesn't matter. Our dealer was pretty good, responsive etc but the baler was a real problem. You know the old adage, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. We are looking to start with a model that has a good track record.
I had an RB450. Got rid of it in 1 year. It would have been a good baler, if it didnt catch fire twice and break 2 other times.
I feel your pain.

I’d be looking at an AGCO dealer if you have one.

Claas and Krone also make excellent balers.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #5  
I also had a NH roll belt and traded it on a Kubota BV 4x5 and it's been flawless. If you have a Kubota dealer nearby, take a look at them and Kubota is still offering 0 percent finance on them. One thing I really like about the Kubota is it's super easy to thread the net roll in and it carries 6 balls of twine if you run twine and the in cab display is light years better than the NH ever was. Like tractors, I always buy local and my Kubota dealer is local for me.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #6  
I've custom baled with JD rd balers since 1987. I've baled over 150,000 rd bales with those models with few problems. The last 2 model 467 balers have baled 30,000 bales each. I strive to bale rd bales at or below 15% moisture. Net wrap attachment is easy to thread & has given very few problems when baling. I like the hyd tension system on JD rd balers capable of making 6 ft diameter bales better than the balers that can only make 5 ft maximum diameter bales. You can easily adjust monitor or baler to make 5 ft diameter bales.

Last edited:
I had an RB450. Got rid of it in 1 year. It would have been a good baler, if it didnt catch fire twice and break 2 other times.
I feel your pain.

I’d be looking at an AGCO dealer if you have one.

Claas and Krone also make excellent balers.
Thanks, I'm not aware of dealers nearby for either of those machines but I'll check.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #8  
I've custom baled with JD rd balers since 1987. I've baled over 150,000 rd bales with those models with few problems. The last 2 model 467 balers have baled 30,000 bales each. I strive to bale rd bales at or below 15% moisture. Net wrap attachment is easy to thread & has given very few problems when baling. I like the hyd tension system on JD rd balers capable of making 6 ft diameter bales better than the balers that can only make 5 ft maximum diameter bales. You can easily adjust monitor or baler to make 5 ft diameter bales.
JD has the best and easiest net load of any bailer IMO. My BV isn't bad either. One thing I never liked about the NH net load was the net tail had to be in the very center of the duck bill and was always a PITA to get it positioned. The BV has a side net window so you load a roll, over one spreader roll and under the other and into the net window on the side next to the transmission, leave about 3" of tail hanging down and that's it. Always liked NH hay tools but their round bailers, not so much. Their small square bailers are just fine.

Thank you, very helpful. JD and Kubota are on my short list.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #10  
I’ve owned Vermeer, and 2 JD. The Vermeer was twine wrap Along with the 1st JD. The 2nd JD is twine and net wrap. The Vermeer was a 503i model. JD was 457, and 458 silage special / mega wide. Vermeer 5x3,JD 4x5. I like the JD 458… thumbs up in my opinion…Based on my tractors and other pieces of equipment I own I would have to say that Kubota would be very good also. If I were to replace my JD Kubota would definitely be in the top looks. They build very good equipment. As of right now my JD is in mint condition and ready to work…. NH has never did anything for me as far as farming….have a good 1.