Round Baler Recommendations

/ Round Baler Recommendations #11  
Second looking at Vermeer. We had a rebel 5400 we bought used with a few thousand bales on it. Worked great on our horse hay with both 39 hp compact and 57 hp utility tractor. Added hay gathering wheels and with an 8 wheel v-rake it made perfect bales with no waste.

/ Round Baler Recommendations
I’ve owned Vermeer, and 2 JD. The Vermeer was twine wrap Along with the 1st JD. The 2nd JD is twine and net wrap. The Vermeer was a 503i model. JD was 457, and 458 silage special / mega wide. Vermeer 5x3,JD 4x5. I like the JD 458… thumbs up in my opinion…Based on my tractors and other pieces of equipment I own I would have to say that Kubota would be very good also. If I were to replace my JD Kubota would definitely be in the top looks. They build very good equipment. As of right now my JD is in mint condition and ready to work…. NH has never did anything for me as far as farming….have a good 1.
Thanks.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #13  
I have a Vermeer 504N and it has been and is a pretty good baler, my problem is the closest dealer keeps little to no parts on the shelf, if I was buying a new baler it would be a JD because of their extensive parts network and dealer locations in my area. Good luck whatever you decide.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #14  
I’ve ran both 458 and now a 459. Starting to close in on 30,000 bales between the 2. 459 has 14-16,000 on it. Can’t remember now. 458 had well over 10,000 and I used hard for silage and wasn’t a s.s. 458 was twine only. Will never go back to that.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #15  
Weird thing is, my previous New Holland balers (BR7060 and 648) were both real good balers and I put 15,000 + on each one. Few issues.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #16  
I will say the Kubota BV round bailer I purchased early last year is festooned with grease fittings and I optioned the one shot greasing system as well as the on board pressurized oiling system but even with the one shot greasing system, there are still many other grease points that need to be hand greased.

On the flip side, the NH bailer I traded in had very few grease fittings on it and no pressurized oiling system either. I really like the pressurized auto oiling system that meters just the right amount of oil onto the drive chains.

The only thing I don't like about the Kubota BV round bailer are the side cover wings. They are somewhat difficult to open and even harder to close but I've gotten used to them. You have the multiple ball twine box on one side and room for 3 rolls of net on the other and unlike the NH, the twine arms overlap each other so even if you only twine (which I don't), the twine pattern overlaps on a bale really securing it and unlike the NH I traded in, the Kubota actually tells you on the in cab display screen how much net you are using per bale and how much net is left on the roll. Very convenient set up and unlike the NH, I can set the density of a bale at my discretion and I can alter it while it's actually making a bale. I like to run my bales with a soft center so I can spear them easily but as the bale forms, I want the density to increase so the bale is tightly wrapped and weather resistant. I can wrap them fiddle string tight if necessary but still have a soft center to spear easily and of course the BV runs 'over the edge' net. Something my NH always had issues with. I run 52" net rolls which gives me about 2" over the edge on every bale made. It really is a very nice baler other than having to load the net in the front, something I like about the JD round bailers as they load their net in the back instead.

Finally, I never cared for the NH display, especially the driving arrows or the side fill alarm. The BV bailer has an actual steering wheel on the display that turns to show you which way to drive the baler for a nice even fill and the threshold alarm is much more subtle as well, not that I ever set it off anyway. The BV can roll 4x6 bales if necessary but Kubota recommends 4x5. I've done 4x6 at the end of a field before however. Far as input power is concerned, my M9 (86 PTO) has plenty of power to run it without breaking a sweat or consuming a ton of fuel either. I did opt for the extra wide pickup as well. I really disliked the 'gathering wheels' I had on the NH.

Like I said, Kubota is still offering 0 percent financing on all their hay tools and tractors yet.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #17  
It's apparent to me that NH round bailers can be 'hit or miss' far as operational parameters are concerned. Like I said, the one I had was a 'miss' for me but the farmer down the road has one and bales literally hundreds and hundreds of wheat straw rounds every year with no issues what so ever. He sells the rounds to local feed lot operations to grind up in tub grinders and they mix in feed with them for their cattle. I bet he's run at least 5000 rounds with his, all in net and all at maximum diameter. Like I said, the one I had and traded off was a PITA to load / thread net in and it really had not many grease fittings on it at all. I like grease fittings, the more the better because if you can grease assemblies, they last longer and no bailers are cheap today and well all know replacement parts are expensive as well.

Never pulled a JD round bailer or a Vermeer or any others, other than the NH and now the Kubota BV but from my hands on experience, the in cab display on the Kubota round bailer is light years ahead of the NH one and the Kubota bailer is extremely adjustable via the in cab display. I'm very happy with mine so far.

/ Round Baler Recommendations #18  
Looking for recommendation on a new utility 4x5 baler. Our needs are basic as we bale for our horse boarding farm which generally harvests between 200 and 250 rolls per season over 2 or 3 cuts. Reliability a must as well as ability to roll low moisture hay suitable for horses. Please do not recommend New Holland's Roll Belt 450. We are in the process of getting rid of one we purchased last year that has been a complete disaster for us.
I have had 2 round balers; a JD 530 rolling a 5x6 and a JD 375 currently, rolling a 5x4. I bought both used and when I sold my cows and a lot of equipment, I downsized to the 375. Both have been extremely reliable and roll a good bale. I couldn't ask for anything more.