Round tubing

/ Round tubing #21  
I used a hole saw to cut notches in tubing that fit perfectly. But the HF notcher clamp didn't perform well for me and I found a basic vice on my drill press better. But you must have the room and the ability to level the tubing while cutting it. Can't be in a hurry.

A man skilled with a cutting torch is the fastest I've seen. But I don't own one and I'm certainly not skilled with one.

Good luck!

/ Round tubing
That's debatable. You just don't have the experience yet. Square is easier in some respects, and round has other advantages.

Just get a mill and be done with it. :D You'll thank me later.

Ha yea one more thing to wish for. I like to look of round tubing better, I have to admit that. I gave some serious thought to welding up a flatbed from some round tubing. Was thinking something in the 16ft range, nothing heavy duty, maybe 5-6K double axle, maybe single. Like I said not a heavy duty, but every now and then I need to haul something long, like steel and hate to have it cut to 10ft, when I NEED it to be longer for the project.

Thinking of a long wood shed, for one.

I don't have the room to set something up in a permanent spot to cut tubing so it has to be portable, somewhat. Don't want something too light, then it's inaccurate.

/ Round tubing #23  
Back in my Jeep and off roading days, I would just use a piece of scrap to draw a line on the pipe to notch, then cut it out with the torch. Clean up the edges a bit with the grinder, and weld it together. It only took a minute to cut out a notch, and it was really simple and easy to do.

/ Round tubing #24  
Here's how you do it when you don't have a big enough hole saw. ;)

Attachments

• Centerhead.JPG
    Centerhead.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Centerheads.JPG
    Centerheads.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Center line 1.JPG
    Center line 1.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Center line 2.JPG
    Center line 2.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Center line 3.JPG
    Center line 3.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Center line 4.JPG
    Center line 4.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Center line 5.JPG
    Center line 5.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Center line 6.JPG
    Center line 6.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Center line 7.JPG
    Center line 7.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Center line 8.JPG
    Center line 8.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Center line 9.JPG
    Center line 9.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Center line 10.JPG
    Center line 10.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 147
   / Round tubing #25  
Get lazy:

[video]http://www.nexussteels.com/prd/weldolet.jpg[/video]

/ Round tubing
Yea I bet those pieces would double the cost of my little trailer.

/ Round tubing #27  
I've thought of using round tubing for a ladder rack thinking that it might offer less wind resistance.

For on a pickup yes, square is not as good, makes more wind nose going down the road. I made a pickup rack from 1-1/2" square, had to add a wedge shape piece to the front cross member to quiet the wind nose down coming from between the rack and top of cab.

/ Round tubing #28  
That's debatable. You just don't have the experience yet. Square is easier in some respects, and round has other advantages.

Just get a mill and be done with it. :D You'll thank me later.

Round is more of a pain to get/keep/clamp/measure square, there I feel better now after winning that big debate, your welcome.......

/ Round tubing #29  
Back in my Jeep and off roading days, I would just use a piece of scrap to draw a line on the pipe to notch, then cut it out with the torch. Clean up the edges a bit with the grinder, and weld it together. It only took a minute to cut out a notch, and it was really simple and easy to do.

I'll hope I never grow out of my Jeep off roading days, but I'm with you on notching pipe with torch, after one cut with an hole saw, I'd throw it across the garage. I'm slow geared, slow thinking, and slow minded, so I want some other tool to make things slower. Seem's to me after a couple notch cuts, I have it down to pat and if I was doing alot of round pipe notching, I'd get a plasma, which can also be use for straight cuts.

/ Round tubing #30  
Round is more of a pain to get/keep/clamp/measure square, there I feel better now after winning that big debate, your welcome.......

Not really, but keep thinking it's so hard and it always will be. Or, you can learn how to work with it and it's not a big difference.