Rpms on the road

/ Rpms on the road #21  
A tractor engine is governed. You can run it full throttle all day ling and not hurt it.

What little I have done of it, I have opened it up all the way, make sure the brakes are locked, turned on the flashers, and keep looking for traffic because even at my max speed, close to 15MPH, I am like a road block to cars.

James, you might go faster if the brakes aren't locked;) (I know you meant make sure the pedals are locked together)

/ Rpms on the road #22  
I start out at about PTO speed of 2500 rpm, the keep bumping up the throttle until it's pretty much full out or I get to where I'm going.

As they say, I have lots of patience... never having used any!

/ Rpms on the road #23  
....lots of patience.
When I was 11 or 12 my dad had me drive the Kubota L295DT (1982+- machine..?) home from the shop. That was 13 miles or so, wide open, top speed of 13mph all the way! I was so good at it that long distance Kubota trips became one of my semi-regular chores.:) Spending an hour in a loud, slow tractor is what any 12 year boy wants out of life.
That's probably child abuse.

Sorry. I went a little off topic here, but this thread brings back some funny memories.:)

/ Rpms on the road #24  
A tractor engine is governed. You can run it full throttle all day ling and not hurt it.

James, you might go faster if the brakes aren't locked;) (I know you meant make sure the pedals are locked together)

Aha! so that is why I never could get up any speed, and then there was that hot smell after a while. Live and Learn. :D:laughing:

/ Rpms on the road #25  
When I was a teenager we drove our equipment all the time between fields, the longest distance about 18 miles with nearly half of that on a main state highway (2-lane of course in the 50's). We drove wide open all the way, with Farmall H's and M's with 10-foot plus wide cultivators, and JD 55 combines with grain headers in place. One of those had a top speed of about 5 mph. My Dad was really ticked when I pulled to the side to let traffic pass on the state highway and clipped one of those little metal signs like they user for mile markers. Broke some slats in the reel and a couple of teeth out of the sickle on the header. He told me there was no reason to pull over - they could pass when they could. :)

Terry

/ Rpms on the road
After checking with Tractordata.com ..... find the rated rpm for an M7040 is 2600. That's the rpsms I was at, so guess I wasn't that far from wot.

/ Rpms on the road #27  
Hammer down! I run my l45 wide open on the road when I need to drive it somewhere