RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hi all,

I am a glad owner of both a Kubota RTV 900 and L3800 and I live in Canada, just north of Maine’s border where there is plenty of snow.

I feel as if my snow removal setup is not optimal. Actually I always use the tractor to remove snow, either with the back snowblower and a back plow. The problem is I like to do plenty of logging in the winter so my logging winch has to be on the tractor and I am tired to remove it each time I need to take care of snow.

I have a 1500 feet road to be taken care of as well as the perimeter of our cottage, garage and sugarshack, you see the setup…

My question is should I go with a plow on the RTV or a quick attached front plow on the tractor FEL ??

Thank you very much

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW #2  
I have a full sized tractor and an ATV snow plow;given a choice I would go with the tractor(FEL mounted 8'),ATV is a lot smaller but fits in the tight spots.
Tractor also has a 7' rear blade.

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW #3  
I've never used an ATV, but I do like my ssqa tractor plow. My tractor use is 100% snow duty during the winter so I do very little switching of implements, other than the rare swap of the rear 7' blade with a 6' blower.

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW #4  
RTV with heated cab sounds pretty nice for 1500' drive in Canada.

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW #5  
I use both. I have an open station tractor with a rear blower and an RTV-X1100C with a 6-1/2 foot Boss vee plow.
Like Yander said, the heated RTV cab is wonderful when it's minus 40 and the wind is howling. My tractors are all open station and I use a rear blower because I use my loader daily.
The RTV will push lots and has good traction. But you have to remember, with a plow you need to get out when it is storming and not let it build up too much. A plow won't eat through feet of snow like a blower will.

And by the sounds of it, you with a 1500 foot drive to clear, an RTV with a plow should be okay because you have a nice long run to keep your speed up to throw the snow off the plow. And like I say if you don't let it build up too deep, the RTV is a lot faster than a tractor.

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW #6  
I use both. I have an open station tractor with a rear blower and an RTV-X1100C with a 6-1/2 foot Boss vee plow.
Like Yander said, the heated RTV cab is wonderful when it's minus 40 and the wind is howling. My tractors are all open station and I use a rear blower because I use my loader daily.
The RTV will push lots and has good traction. But you have to remember, with a plow you need to get out when it is storming and not let it build up too much. A plow won't eat through feet of snow like a blower will.

And by the sounds of it, you with a 1500 foot drive to clear, an RTV with a plow should be okay because you have a nice long run to keep your speed up to throw the snow off the plow. And like I say if you don't let it build up too deep, the RTV is a lot faster than a tractor.
I have the same setup, a good sized open tractor with a rear blower and a 1100C with a Vee plow. The tractor does the heavy/deep snow work, the RTV does the small storms after the ground is frozen. At 62 it's nice to have the heated cab. I could not do snow removal without the tractor, but did snow removal for 20+ years without the RTV. So if the question is "if I can only have one machine for snow removal?", the answer would be the tractor.

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW
Thanks everyone for your answer. I forgot to mention both my RTV and tractor are open station .

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW #8  
I have the same setup, a good sized open tractor with a rear blower and a 1100C with a Vee plow. The tractor does the heavy/deep snow work, the RTV does the small storms after the ground is frozen. At 62 it's nice to have the heated cab. I could not do snow removal without the tractor, but did snow removal for 20+ years without the RTV. So if the question is "if I can only have one machine for snow removal?", the answer would be the tractor.
I agree. I got rid of my F550 truck and Boss vee plow because tractor even outperformed it DISCLAIMER: FOR MY APPLICATION LOL

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW #9  
Thanks everyone for your answer. I forgot to mention both my RTV and tractor are open station .
I kinda got off track now that I read your original question again. I would think the RTV would handle a plow better than one on the loader of a compact tractor? I feel as though a loader plow would try and steer you more than a plow on the RTV? And the RTV can travel at faster speed.

If those are your only options. But I would NEVER be without a tractor and blower.

/ RTV OR COMPACT TRACTOR PLOW #10  
I have a Snowsport plow that I used on my TC33D tractor and on my RTV900. For most snows, I preferred to use the RTV over the tractor because of the speed. BUT, if we would get deep heavy snow (2ft+), then I could always put the plow on the tractor.