RTVX-1100C Stolen

/ RTVX-1100C Stolen #21  
Many years ago, I had a friend with a cabin in a summer-accessible mountain community. One year, several of the log cabins were broken in to using a chainsaw. I can visualize a determined thief doing something similar to a steel building using a battery-powered Sawzall. I would be ready to seriously injure someone if this happened to me.

/ RTVX-1100C Stolen #22  
Jesse, Sorry to hear about the theft, how is the replacement doing?

/ RTVX-1100C Stolen #23  
Good to hear your insurance came through and you got a nicer replacement. My neighbor is a pilot and his house is at one end of his land, his barn is at the other. Thieves have broken into his barn several times and stole small stuff like chain saws and tools. They just kick in the walk through door. I helped him beef up the locks the first time, but the second time they just keep hitting the door until the door bent in and broke away. If they have the time and really want in, there isn't much to stop them.

I'm in the process of putting up a bigger fence and a new gate that should be harder to get through then what I currently have. Fortunately for me, my parents live on the land too and there is almost always somebody here. The dogs are also very alert and wake us up all the time barking at whatever is out and about at night. It's annoying, but also comforting to have them on patrol. Three hundred pound akita's can make A LOT OF NOISE!!!!!

/ RTVX-1100C Stolen
Jesse, Sorry to hear about the theft, how is the replacement doing?
So far it's running great. I've found out that thieves are using battery powered grinders with cut-off wheels to cut through locks and chains. I've installed gates that close in front of my doors on the shop so it would be hard for someone to kick in the doors. Someone could still cut the locks and get in. I'll probably install some type of video surveillance.

/ RTVX-1100C Stolen #25  
So far it's running great. I've found out that thieves are using battery powered grinders with cut-off wheels to cut through locks and chains. I've installed gates that close in front of my doors on the shop so it would be hard for someone to kick in the doors. Someone could still cut the locks and get in. I'll probably install some type of video surveillance.

I have had to cut an old lock off my own trailer, it was a long shafted master lock, with a battery powered 18v sawzal, I cut it off in like 10-15 seconds, the blade was even older.

I just call locks like that "honesty locks", if someone is prepared there is little to do to stop them. I try to make it a little innocence for them lol.

/ RTVX-1100C Stolen #26  
Tough to stop someone who really wants your stuff. I have a 19.2v cutoff wheel that will go through most things in short order on the low amp light weight battery. Cameras, GPS devices, big dogs, electrified metal, moat with alligators....oh sorry, a bit out of hand. :D Thieves piss me off.

/ RTVX-1100C Stolen #27  
Tough to stop someone who really wants your stuff. I have a 19.2v cutoff wheel that will go through most things in short order on the low amp light weight battery. Cameras, GPS devices, big dogs, electrified metal, moat with alligators....oh sorry, a bit out of hand. :D Thieves piss me off.

I really like the moat idea, now you might be on to something here, I don't want something to kill my dog or cattle so maybe a **** load of jellyfish, that will show them lol

/ RTVX-1100C Stolen #29  
In our county you can notify the Sheriff's department if you're going to be gone for a while, and they'll (supposedly) schedule extra patrols to check on your place. Most of the people who use that service are people with seasonal cabins or 2nd homes. A few years ago someone who was on the list for extra patrols had their snowblower stolen off their porch. They had a hidden security camera. They reviewed the files and found a recording of a deputy sheriff loading the snowblower into the back of his SUV. The SUV was his patrol vehicle, not his personal vehicle.

How about that? Not exactly a confidence builder in our local law enforcement...

/ RTVX-1100C Stolen #30  
In our county you can notify the Sheriff's department if you're going to be gone for a while, and they'll (supposedly) schedule extra patrols to check on your place. Most of the people who use that service are people with seasonal cabins or 2nd homes. A few years ago someone who was on the list for extra patrols had their snowblower stolen off their porch. They had a hidden security camera. They reviewed the files and found a recording of a deputy sheriff loading the snowblower into the back of his SUV. The SUV was his patrol vehicle, not his personal vehicle.

How about that? Not exactly a confidence builder in our local law enforcement...

Seems they did exactly what you stated:'they'll (supposedly) schedule extra patrols to check on your place'. Seems no supposedly, its more like actually scheduled more patrols to see if you left anything worth protecting at their place, while you're still away.:confused3:

To the OP; sorry for your loss. Determined thieves are hard to stop, unfortunately. I had my flip house on the market next door to me while I was away in another state. I came home to a missing 7500 Watt portable generator that was on a pallet at the back of the garage to keep it from being seen by lookers. ALL doors in every home I own are double dead-bolt, EXCEPT the one man door at the back of the garage because it was built as a custom garage and the lockset was supplied by the company. Found the lock UNlocked after I returned home. Seems they must have been at one of the open houses the realtor threw and unlocked the turn lever on the man door. Anyway, the pallet was still in place, my then property caretaker did not know anything; the realtor with lockbox access knew nothing, and the state police laughed and said that my having the serial number and original sales receipt was more than most people have these days, they said they weren't coming to the house to look into it and to go around to the local pawn shops, and inquire about generators for sale. Generator new was $1,200.

And to install video cameras for future recordings for them to laugh at next time someone steals something. Kidding about the last part- them laughing, that is. So I went to the next town over, in NYS, where the lowlifes have a huge presence, and looked around a pawn shop. I asked about if they had any generators for sale rather than asking if they had my size or brand. They said they didn't. I left. The very next day the place burned to the ground! I swear I had nothing to do with it at all, but I do remember I had a laugh at the sheer coincidence of it all. Never recovered the generator. Did install Simplisafe alarm system in all my properties shortly thereafter. This gives me peace of mind with smoke and Co monitoring 24/7, which is as if not more important to me than theft protection for family/pet(s) safety.
Plan to add video surveillance too, since a thief may go down the road if they know a place has vid and security in place.