Run away or worth a gamble? Kubota B2910

/ Run away or worth a gamble? Kubota B2910 #61  
You could also send the hydro and engine oil out for an analysis for about $50 you could know alot. They may do coolant too.

What is Oil Analysis

/ Run away or worth a gamble? Kubota B2910 #62  
Worth mentioned is to put any ad in the "for sale" section. Folks looking to sell don't look in the wanted area.

/ Run away or worth a gamble? Kubota B2910
Part of this is just that you're hot to buy and you want to buy NOW. Life doesn't work that way. How many times have we bought something only to find a better deal six weeks later? Things don't always happen when we want them to.

Also, it's always good to find a greasy tractor. That usually means he greased it early and often and is usually a good sign over other things. I once knew of a guy that passed on a greasy tractor because it looked, well--greasy. Cleaned up it was a great tractor at a great price.

sixdogs,

I think you have it pegged dead on :laughing::laughing: I have been looking for a while, but think these projects are starting to bug me to get going on and I want to get them done so the looking has increased. I need to cool my jets and just keep looking. I have done this in the past and looked and looked for something, then as soon as you buy the perfect deal seems to come along. I have some other projects I want to get to as well, so I need to focus this energy toward those and maybe the right tractor will fall into place. Wish me luck :thumbsup::thumbsup: My other option is to take some time off from work and rent a tractor and try to get as much done as possible.

1savoy, I am curious why you wouldn't just throw up some framing across one side of your open lean to, and put some corrugated metal or fiberglass panels up to keep the weather, and sunshine, off a new tractor? Maybe I missed something in your description, but if not...?

Hi varmint,

I have thought about doing something along those lines. I wanted to enclose the whole porch, but if I do so I have to do it "under the radar". Unfortunately the town I live in has gotten very strict about this stuff and they will not let me add on to the footprint of my garage. I had to re-roof and re-side after the last hail storm and they would not let me do anything other than keep it the same. Anything new has to match the house, which in this area is brick and stone. I said the heck with it and just kept the barn the same. I have thought recently about having a solar screen company cut and sew up some roll up sections to install on the side of the porch. This would help keep the sun off anything I would like to keep under it. Otherwise I may just start closing off the side, as you mentioned and hope they do not notice. Last year I found the tax assessor had added a shed to my assessment. I went in to question it. They pulled up the aerial picture of my property and pointed to "my shed". I informed them that was my car trailer. After some reluctance they took it off my assessment. My neighbor has tried to do things "under the radar", but they always seem to find it:(

You know, I have bought tractors before by running a WANTED ad. In the old days I bought an Int'l H and plow for a great price. It was owned by a local farmer that did excellent maintenance. Today, you could run an ad on Craig's list. If that's where the great "for sale" deals are just head 'em off at the pass. How about:

Want to buy a smaller Kubota tractor--maybe 25 to 35 HP that is in really good condition and maybe one owner. I figure to spend $7,000 to $8,000 or $9,000 but that depends.

Think of the people that want to SELL a tractor but don't know how to take and post pictures or write the words? That's your target. If that doesn't work, change the wording. This has worked for me on many things over the years. You need a discipline and be able to negotiate if you put a price in. If you don't you'll get a whole run of guys that are under water with $30,000 things. Figure it out.

Also, you can search some auction prices on the net. Here's one---click on "auction results" in the upper right.
Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota

There are lots of other auction results sources as well. Part of the tractor owning experience is about the chase and not necessarily just owning the item. If you live to be old enough you want to reflect back on the deal that didn't get away. :)

I ran a tractor wanted add in the Mississippi Market Bulletin when I was looking. I would think Texas would have something similar. Like you said sixdogs, my purpose was to get to the good deals before someone else did. The risk is if someone knows they have exactly what you are looking for they may up the price a little. But, if you know the tractor's value and what you are willing to pay then you can make an offer. They can take it or leave it. I got two calls from the wanted ad. Both Kubotas. I am not sure how it would have ultimately worked out because I had already bought my tractor before the add published. :laughing:

Worth mentioned is to put any ad in the "for sale" section. Folks looking to sell don't look in the wanted area.

sixdogs and McRebel,

I guess that is an interesting thought. I have seen those ads before and just ignore them. I guess I found them sort of strange when what people were looking for was listed for sale in the same place. You guys are saying the ads actually work? I may give it a try. I have listed quite a few things for family and friends that did not know how to list things. We have had real good luck selling things that way. I guess I assume everyone can find someone to do that for them.

/ Run away or worth a gamble? Kubota B2910 #67  
Some of those ads are up forever, unchanged, probably tractor dealers. I was looking for 6 months, ran wanted ads, trade ads. Never a peep except folks offering trades of stuff outside of what I specified. For example a guy offerred a 45 hp Mahindra. Not a single reply selling what I specifically asked for, which was " A kubota tractor, around 30 HP, including models: (,,,list of all the Kubotas I was interested in).

Savoy that 2710 looks better than mine! I got no warranty, mine was a consignment. Glad I didn't wait, I've gotten a huge amount of work done.

/ Run away or worth a gamble? Kubota B2910 #68  
Some of those ads are up forever, unchanged, probably tractor dealers. I was looking for 6 months, ran wanted ads, trade ads. Never a peep except folks offering trades of stuff outside of what I specified. For example a guy offerred a 45 hp Mahindra. Not a single reply selling what I specifically asked for, which was " A kubota tractor, around 30 HP, including models: (,,,list of all the Kubotas I was interested in).

Savoy that 2710 looks better than mine! I got no warranty, mine was a consignment. Glad I didn't wait, I've gotten a huge amount of work done.

Yes, some of those ads are forever. That's why the ad I wrote above is definitely written like a good old regular guy. Nothing smary, no verbiage that sounds like I want to steal it and no intent to beat the seller in the ground. That has drawn response for me. Make the ad human sounding and simple with a couple of minor errors of simplicity.

When you see something you like but it's priced too high, don't insult the guy by saying it's only worth $X.xx . Instead, say it would be worth that amount from a retail buyer if you could find one at a dealer--and I like your tractor--but I can't afford to pay that much. I have $x.xx, really like your tractor and can pay cash. What do you think?

Sodo,

As you say prices must just be higher in your part of the country. That is a bummer. Glad you found something that works and you are happy. You have been able to get your work done and that counts for a lot. I could rent to get these few things done I want to, but just hate to throw that money away renting when it could go towards a purchase.

Yes, some of those ads are forever. That's why the ad I wrote above is definitely written like a good old regular guy. Nothing smary, no verbiage that sounds like I want to steal it and no intent to beat the seller in the ground. That has drawn response for me. Make the ad human sounding and simple with a couple of minor errors of simplicity.

When you see something you like but it's priced too high, don't insult the guy by saying it's only worth $X.xx . Instead, say it would be worth that amount from a retail buyer if you could find one at a dealer--and I like your tractor--but I can't afford to pay that much. I have $x.xx, really like your tractor and can pay cash. What do you think?

sixdogs,

Good advice as always :thumbsup::thumbsup: Not sure if I am ready to run an ad, but if I do I will follow your advice. I don't think I ever insult anyone when looking at their tractor. I am actually too nice and just say let me sleep on it verses low balling someone. I think here near a big city the haggling thing is far worse than where I grew up. I have sold a number of items since I have moved here and you would not believe the ridiculous offers. You get quite a few people that want to haggle via texts without ever coming out to look at the item and have actually sold via text :confused3::confused3: Customer shows up pays you and away they go. It's a different world.