Running Bamboo Hate it

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #1  

Sprinklerman

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland 1925 Kubota bx 24
Spent 4 hours dealing with this weed , Bamboo . I was cutting 2 to 3 inch around bamboo 20 ft plus tall about 1/3 acre . You cant push it over into the rest of the growth . I tries a chainsaw , the blade kept jumping off , tries a sawzall it was way too slow . I finally tried a circular saw , it worked great . So I started dropping the bamboo into an open area , all facing the same way . Then i fired up the tractor , with a 5 ft brush cutter and started shreading the pile . I left the stalks about 4 ft high so they wouldnt go thru a tire . Once the stalks were ground up I used the loader and knocked down the bottoms , and ground them up . Now thats its under control , got to keep it cut so it doesnt take over again

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #3  
If you don't get along with your neighbor plant some bamboo along the property line.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #4  
Spent 4 hours dealing with this weed , Bamboo . I was cutting 2 to 3 inch around bamboo 20 ft plus tall about 1/3 acre . You cant push it over into the rest of the growth . I tries a chainsaw , the blade kept jumping off , tries a sawzall it was way too slow . I finally tried a circular saw , it worked great . So I started dropping the bamboo into an open area , all facing the same way . Then i fired up the tractor , with a 5 ft brush cutter and started shreading the pile . I left the stalks about 4 ft high so they wouldnt go thru a tire . Once the stalks were ground up I used the loader and knocked down the bottoms , and ground them up . Now thats its under control , got to keep it cut so it doesnt take over again

Try Ortho Brush-B-Gon, mix it stronger than recommended, and add a "sticker". You can use "Hi Yield Spreader Sticker", or Bonide "Turbo", or Dawn liquid dish detergent (1 tsp/gal.).
If you use dish detergent, be sure to add it after the water, and the Brush-B-Gon, or you will have a sudsy/bubbly mess.
Spray it on the fresh cut little bamboo stumps.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #5  
If you don't get along with your neighbor plant some bamboo along the property line.

One of my neighbors had in catty corner in the back where I used to live. I hated that stuff and I hated them, dayum renters. It was a never ending battle trying to keep that crap at bay. It should be illegal to plant that stuff anywhere. It's just plain stupid to plant it anywhere but in a pot or a completely contained bed maybe. Even then you'd better keep your eye on it.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #6  

Better get a backhoe and dig it up completely then burn it. Any part of a rhizome with a joint will put up a new sprout. Ask me how I know.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #7  
When I did it I just backed the bushog into it over and over; finally at scalping height. Did not run over rooted stalks til scalped. Never left the tractor.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it
When I did it I just backed the bushog into it over and over; finally at scalping height. Did not run over rooted stalks til scalped. Never left the tractor.

I tried that , but I was in tight quarters and the bamboo was falling on me .

This is the second section I cut down . I read that bamboo doesnt like acidic soil so I got sulfur from john deere landscapes and put that down , then I had a large tree company bring me in 100 cubic yards of tree chips and covered the whole area I did before 6 to 8 inches thick , the chips breaking down make the soil acidic AND I can now run a finish mower over the area and cut it when its short . So far that area has been managed very easily . Now with the rest of the bamboo cut , I am hoping that since there is no green leaves it will not get any sunlight and will slow the growth . I would like to use some herbicide , but the house is on a hand dug well

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #9  
Just get a couple of panda bears... they'll eat the bamboo. Sure, they're from China but the quality is quite good.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it
I did call the Maryland zoo and asked if they wanted it , They said sure bring us all you can . NOT