Running Bamboo Hate it

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #11  
Better get a backhoe and dig it up completely then burn it. Any part of a rhizome with a joint will put up a new sprout. Ask me how I know.

DITTO!

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #12  
image-2639220046.jpg

You could harvest it and sell these....

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #13  
Holly smokes - would have never guessed bamboo was such an aggressive plant. Guess I'm lucky that's another thing that isn't found around here.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #14  
Makes a good substitute for steel in concrete. Edison built his pool with it in Naples, Florida in 1910. Still there.

I pay Gardeners' Supply $40 for a little bitty bundle of them.

Ralph

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #15  
Holly smokes - would have never guessed bamboo was such an aggressive plant. Guess I'm lucky that's another thing that isn't found around here.

They will take over faster than section 8.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #16  
I wanted some bamboo for tomato stakes etc. So I planted a few sprigs in the pasture around 30 years ago. Later the guy who gave them to me said they'd been sprayed with herbicide and I couldn't find any live plants so I gave them up for dead. Several years later we discovered some live plants in the woods near where I planted my sprigs. They've established a few small patches but there aren't enough plants to do me much good. I think the cows and deer must be eating them while they're young and tender.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #17  
Makes a good substitute for steel in concrete. Edison built his pool with it in Naples, Florida in 1910. Still there.

I pay Gardeners' Supply $40 for a little bitty bundle of them.

Ralph

Ralph,
I learned about using bamboo in concrete too and with the price of rebar, they mignt be worth trying.

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #18  

Do you guys have Kudzu or fire ants?

/ Running Bamboo Hate it
I would love to take the backhoe over and dig it out . But , where I live is near the chesapeake bay , If I disturb over 5000 sq ft , I need to file a grading plan with the county , get a permit , and jump thru a whole lot of hoops . Now that I have it down I will just have to keep mowing it .

/ Running Bamboo Hate it #20  
Here is how to keep Bamboo from spreading...

Dig a trench around the bamboo an minimum of 2 feet. You can keep the trench open, but you must cut the rhyzomes (roots) as they appear or they will navigate across. You can also dig down and install rubber (like pond liner) or metal band but be warned bamboo is tenatious and if it can get between seams it will. Bamboo is a shallow rooted plant.

The best method I know of is to get a tree shredder / forestry mulcher and knock it down, but spray immediatley with afformentioned spray. As I understand it best time to do this is spring or fall, that is when the poison will for sure get into the roots.

Bamboo is a hard wood so cutting it down with a chainsaw is possible but brutal.

This is a rinse and repeat. Just because you cleared and sprayed does not mean it is over, you will need to repeat this for at least 2 to three years..