Running Hot

/ Running Hot
I think it was a port blockage in the head. I have cleaned out all that I can with them.Once
I get the gaskets (today) I will install head and see if it that solves the issue. I will post
results when done. Thanks

/ Running Hot #23  
got an ir heat gun to backup some temp readings with?

/ Running Hot
UPDATE on Over Heating:
Well the new gasket set arrived Monday night. Tuesday I installed the head and put it back together.
I didn't install the thermostat. Wanted to see how it would run first. Filled with water and started up.
Right away I noticed no flow in the radiator and thought it was odd. After a fer minutes it was getting
too hot. I shut it down and was still puzzled about the no flow issue. I drained the radiator and then
pulled the upper hose. The housing to the engine was full of water! I knew that wasn't good. I pulled
the drain plug in the side of the engine and the level dropped. Had to be a blockage around the water
pump. The Pump was new though. Well I pulled the pump and water flowed out everywhere. lol After a little
inspection I Found the pump was plugged up! I guess all the crud packed into the pump after the
backflush. So I cleaned out the blockage, replaced the gaskets, reinstalled the pump, put it all
together and fired it up. Runs GREAT!! No more overheating now.
Thanks to all for your help and info, and sorry for the long long update.
Thanks again
of the block and the level dropped in the

/ Running Hot #26  
glad you found it.

/ Running Hot #27  
When you cleaned the block out, how did you do it? I'm a little surprised that your water pump was clogged up after you cleaned it.

I like to pull frost plugs and with the WP off and head off use a pressure washer to blow all the crud out. It nearly always takes a lot longer than anticipated to get it to run clear and debris free. There usually is the normal rust but also old gasket material, RTV etc etc. Yuck.

/ Running Hot #28  
have found old core plugs people knocked in there too!

/ Running Hot
When you cleaned the block out, how did you do it? I'm a little surprised that your water pump was clogged up after you cleaned it.

I like to pull frost plugs and with the WP off and head off use a pressure washer to blow all the crud out. It nearly always takes a lot longer than anticipated to get it to run clear and debris free. There usually is the normal rust but also old gasket material, RTV etc etc. Yuck.

I flushed from the thermostat housing down into the head/ block, coming out plug on side if block. I never expected it to back flow all that crud into the New pump. The opening is not very
big in the pump. Could of had some casting slag stuck in there as the pump is a new cast pump.