Running my PZ 170 drum mower?

/ Running my PZ 170 drum mower? #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Prepping equipment for the first cut. I am going to install the spacer kit to raise the cutting heights and new blades, but in reading the manual, when in the cutting position it dies not indicate if the drums should be level, pitched up in front, or down. Dealer indicated slightly lower on the leading edge, other have indicated to run the front slightly elevated. As the manual is silent, I assumed level.

How do you folks have your drum mower set up.
Thanks - Keith

/ Running my PZ 170 drum mower? #2  
Prepping equipment for the first cut. I am going to install the spacer kit to raise the cutting heights and new blades, but in reading the manual, when in the cutting position it dies not indicate if the drums should be level, pitched up in front, or down. Dealer indicated slightly lower on the leading edge, other have indicated to run the front slightly elevated. As the manual is silent, I assumed level.

Thanks - Keith

My unit is the SFI 2555, small 52" cut. I've installed the 1" spacers as well. I've tried to keep the drums level as I can to keep the blades off the ground. Blade wear has been my main concern as any ground contact really dulls the blades. As soon as I get low in my box of replacement blades, I'm going to try a higher quality blade other than the generic Tisco or A&I blades. If you know of some good quality replacement blade Please post. Oh yeah my blades are the No. CM120 with the little hump on them. Thanks bjr

/ Running my PZ 170 drum mower?
Cant help much on the blades, but the book says to flip/exchange them to the other drum so the other side cuts. I just got nine form the Kuhn dealer, has KG J4 marked in the upper corners, and appear to be heat treated by the steel coloration. Thanks for the help.

/ Running my PZ 170 drum mower? #4  

Thanks - Keith
I run my Galfre with one inch spacers on the ground so they run parallel to the ground surface. I think that's how all drum mowers operate. You don't position them with the three point hitch. They sit on the ground.

I run my Galfre with one inch spacers on the ground so they run parallel to the ground surface. I think that's how all drum mowers operate. You don't position them with the three point hitch. They sit on the ground.

Now I am a bit confused. When I have mine in the running position, the 3pt raises and lowers (when fully down unit will float off of the lower links), and the top link controls the pitch forward or backward so how can I not position it with the 3 pt? Just wondering....probably I need more coffee this morning.

/ Running my PZ 170 drum mower? #6  
Now I am a bit confused. When I have mine in the running position, the 3pt raises and lowers (when fully down unit will float off of the lower links), and the top link controls the pitch forward or backward so how can I not position it with the 3 pt? Just wondering....probably I need more coffee this morning.

When I pick my drum mower up with the three point, it pitches nose down but it runs sitting on the ground and the three point is supporting the drive line and hitch assembly . If you don't have spacers the bottom of the drum the bottom surface of the drum is mounted on a bearing and does not spin with the drum.

/ Running my PZ 170 drum mower? #7  
Jerry/MT is right. Keep the drums level, i.e. parallel to the ground. If you have really rough ground, you can tip them back a hair to help the bottom plate skip over high spots. And keep your 3 point up high enough that you are stretching the suspension spring on the top of the extension arm. You want as much of the mower's weight on the tractor as possible, without lifting the drums off the ground. Use your position control to make sure your lift arms don't sag over time. If your tractor doesn't have position control, most mowers come with a chain you can connect from your top link mounting point on your tractor to the lift pin of the implement, shich will set and maintain your low limit.

Thanks
Got a chance to run it yesterday. With your help things went perfectly. This beast cuts like a dream.

/ Running my PZ 170 drum mower? #9  
So in this vein of thought: I have a PZ170 Kuhn drum mower. The manual says 4 spacers max for increasing cutting height. The majority of fields that I mow with this machine are a couple of acres and dryland. With 4 factory spacers installed this machine really scalps the field at about 2 inches and they have a hard time recovering. I tied to add home made spacers to gain an additional inch and the machine would not consistently cut even at 3 mph. Any suggestions as to how to increase cutting height on this machine (other than to get a different mower)? And why does the additional space between cutting head drum
and ground riding drum not allow the mower to cut with the home made spacers added?

Not sure why, but with the unit scalps the field I would say you are pitched forward too far. I run mine slightly nose high as recommended and it does very well.