Running my PZ 170 drum mower?

/ Running my PZ 170 drum mower? #11  
You could also be letting the drum sit on the ground too much. Check that you have the top spring lever in float mode and not locked down as when you are transporting. I always lift up on my mower just a hair to make sure it is being held by the rear 3-pt. more than sitting on the spinning plates too much.

/ Running my PZ 170 drum mower?
So in this vein of thought: I have a PZ170 Kuhn drum mower. The manual says 4 spacers max for increasing cutting height. The majority of fields that I mow with this machine are a couple of acres and dryland. With 4 factory spacers installed this machine really scalps the field at about 2 inches and they have a hard time recovering. I tied to add home made spacers to gain an additional inch and the machine would not consistently cut even at 3 mph. Any suggestions as to how to increase cutting height on this machine (other than to get a different mower)? And why does the additional space between cutting head drum
and ground riding drum not allow the mower to cut with the home made spacers added?

Kiwibru is correct. When you have the mower in cutting position your using (tractor off), crawl underneath and measure from cutting knives to the ground. They should be the same oe slightly nose high. Check to be sure the lock out is in the free position and not travel position. Then start you tractor and adjust the 3 point until you just start to see the mower head move. Stop tractor and check measurements. You may need to adjust the top link slightly after lifting. When in the correct position you will see the spring and head float while mowing. I was going to add spacers, but found when properly adjusted it cuts at 2 to 2.5 inches which is perfect for regrowth. In addition if you have the owners manual there are instructions for other adjustments. If you don't have the manual, get one.