Rural Bashing?

/ Rural Bashing? #21  
I have a friend, she's a single mom of two young kids, she lives in a income based housing community, she has a small yard but won't let her kids play in the yard unsupervised because on a few different occasions while mowing found empty and loaded needles in her yard.

She lives in a small city (39,000) and I guess on the bad side of town.

I grew up in the suburbs further out in the country on a dead end road, I never had to worry about any of that kinda stuff.

/ Rural Bashing? #22  
I have work friends that pick on my being a RED NECK , while mentioning that they are scared of shootings, bad neighborhoods, and cannot understand why I hunt...

I just roll with it and say they have never watched a sunrise streaming thru a foggy woods while a deer picks its way through a patch of briars munching on some leaves... I have never met a person who moved from the country saying they were happy...

/ Rural Bashing? #23  
I have never experienced that. When people find out where I live they are usually envious.

/ Rural Bashing? #24  
We had relatives "sleep" over and couldn't go to sleep cause it was too quiet. They needed the sound of the highway outside their window to doze off.

And the names for us country folk is endless. Some of them don't even let me type em.

/ Rural Bashing? #25  
Some people just need to be bullies even over something so inane.

I can give a 100 reasons why living in the country is great but I am scratching my head trying to think of 1 good reason why living in town is such a good idea.

/ Rural Bashing? #26  
I've lived in both settings. Big city with ordinances saying what you can and can't do with your property. Neighbors house was 20ft from mine. Can't say as I'll go back to living in town. Relish the quiet, and being able to do what I want on my property :)

I haven't been bashed for living in the country. May get a question occasionally, but that's it.

I have had discussions with people who absolutely love Home owners associations. Now that's a way of life I have had a hard time understanding :confused2: Daughter lives in a neighborhood where a neighbor is trying to start up an hoa.

I had to have a talk with him for her because his tactics were bordering on the extreme and turning into bullying. I got tired of her calling up upset. Pointed out the fact to him, that an hoa is optional since it's not in the deed for the houses in there neighborhood. And that the only thing he could do is call the county if someone was violating an ordinance, or a restriction on the deed. He was trying to use it as a power trip and do as I say, not as I do. Pointed out to my daughter, that was the reason we live in the county :thumbsup:

/ Rural Bashing? #27  
I have never experienced that. When people find out where I live they are usually envious.

Yeah, I rarely get bashed. Lots of people I talk to wish they could move out to somewhere more rural but can't because most of the employment in my field is in the city.

Sadly as the economic rise of a city goes up so does cost of living. Last I heard average price for a house in Seattle was ~$800k.

/ Rural Bashing? #28  
We had relatives "sleep" over and couldn't go to sleep cause it was too quiet. They needed the sound of the highway outside their window to doze off.

Same here. I've got a great Mate who visits a couple of time a year from Brisbane (he also depletes my wine collection... but I digress...) and it takes him a couple of nights before he can fall asleep to the dead silence & darkness. :)

It also takes him a while to adjust to my un-locked doors!

Both of us are retired Navy. Aside from communal living (Mess deck, barracks, etc...) going to sea on a cramped warship means constant noise, even during the 'quiet times', there's always the hum/whoosh of the ship's ventilation. I pined for my retirement property and the quiet existence; where the only loud noise would be rain on the roof. Heck, even now as I type this, there is no radio or TV on to provide 'background noise'. Quiet bliss.

I think that my Mates visits are becoming more frequent.

/ Rural Bashing? #29  
I grew up a couple of miles outside of Bellingham Wa. on the side of a mountain overlooking Bellingham bay, surrounded by forest. We had one neighbor whose lights you could see at night through the trees. You could see the stars at night and the birds were an orchestra in the forest. I had a small creek next to the house and woods that I could disappear into for as long as I liked. My parents never worried about us being on our own there.
Is it any surprise that I can't imagine living in town? I have three sisters, one lives in town, one lives on acreage on the Kitsap peninsula, and the other is a happy farmer in the Skagit Valley. Three out of four of us live in rural areas, our upbringing must have had some influence on us.:thumbsup:

/ Rural Bashing? #30  
Most everyone I talk to is quite jealous of country living. There will always be the hater's but really, who cares what they think.