Rural car wreck

/ Rural car wreck #181  
I didn't know that you could turn the key far enough for it to lock while still in gear, unless it was a standard, which still has a button to push to before turning all of the way to "off."
It sounds like there was more wrong with that RV than just the cruise control. :eek:

/ Rural car wreck #182  
Such as people who have to list single piece of equipment they own in their profile to make people think they are special??

And those with signature lines at the bottom of the post that have pictures in them. How many times do those same pictures need to be posted?

/ Rural car wreck #183  
I didn't know that you could turn the key far enough for it to lock while still in gear, unless it was a standard, which still has a button to push to before turning all of the way to "off."
It sounds like there was more wrong with that RV than just the cruise control. :eek:

I was thinking that as well. Anything old enough to have a cruise module would be that way. But maybe a motorhome would use a shifter somewhere other than the dash. So it would not matter. Newer vehicles don't lock in gear. You need to step on the brake to get them out of park. They won't do that without the ignition on. However that is bad too. The solenoids fail and leave you stranded. I was driving a Freightliner tractor when throttle position sensor broke at full throttle. I just stepped on the clutch and took it out of gear. Then I moved it to the side of the road and turned it off. It wont blow up as the engine has a governor.

/ Rural car wreck #184  
One thought... I was riding right seat on a cross country motorhome trip... The driver was going faster and faster and I said slow down... The Ford 460 just downshifted when brakes applies... it was a tense white knuckle ride on a twisty mountain road... The cruise control locked on and could not be disengaged...

Driver was in a panic and shifted into neutral and the motor roared where I thought it would grenade... Driver turned off ignition but went to far and locked the wheel I reached over and turned the key on and grabbed the wheel...

It could have just as easily ended in tragedy... Mechanical failure.

Being in the middle of nowhere I disconnected the cruise module from the cruise module so we could continue... Had the Ford Dealer in Boise replace it...
I guess that must be why Volvo on their brake and/or clutch pedal cruise control disengagement switches had both a electrical switch and a mechanical valve that opened up the vacuum line to the actuator that pulled on the throttle body.
That way even if electrically the cruise control was stuck on, it would disengage as soon as you hit the brakes or the clutch (if equipped) and stay disengaged as long as the brake or clutch pedal is held down.

Aaron Z

/ Rural car wreck #185  
I guess that must be why Volvo on their brake and/or clutch pedal cruise control disengagement switches had both a electrical switch and a mechanical valve that opened up the vacuum line to the actuator that pulled on the throttle body.
That way even if electrically the cruise control was stuck on, it would disengage as soon as you hit the brakes or the clutch (if equipped) and stay disengaged as long as the brake or clutch pedal is held down.

Aaron Z

Aaron perfectly stated . . . ;)

/ Rural car wreck #186  

Aaron Z

On modern vehicles there is no mechanical connection to the throttle body. It's all the ECM. Including the cruise so that won't work anymore. And that is why years ago Toyota had that problem with run away vehicles. Something went wrong in the ECM and they stayed at full throttle when you let off the throttle. The crashes were people who didn't turn off the key.