Rust questions

/ Rust questions #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
I have a new to me back blade. It is very rusty. I'd like to clean it up and paint it. I DO NOT have access to have it sand blasted. I realize this would be better, but that is just not an option. Of course i have a grinder. However I see this paint like stuff for rust removal. Is that any good? I'd pressure wash the day lights out of it first either way. Then the plan is to prime and paint it yellow to match my other implements.

So bottom line is that rust removal liquid any good? Or would I still end up hitting it with the grinder on most of it?

/ Rust questions #2  
wire wheel it or they do make some POR paints that will work but i like to wire wheel things that works good to remove all the loose scale peeling paints

/ Rust questions #3  
Wire wheels do a nice job but do wear safety glasses with them. After the wheel, I like to wipe it with rags dipped in a paint thinner-acetone mix for the final cleaning.

wire wheel it or they do make some POR paints that will work but i like to wire wheel things that works good to remove all the loose scale peeling paints

/ Rust questions #4  
I have a new to me back blade. It is very rusty. I'd like to clean it up and paint it. I DO NOT have access to have it sand blasted. I realize this would be better, but that is just not an option. Of course i have a grinder. However I see this paint like stuff for rust removal. Is that any good? I'd pressure wash the day lights out of it first either way. Then the plan is to prime and paint it yellow to match my other implements.

So bottom line is that rust removal liquid any good? Or would I still end up hitting it with the grinder on most of it?

After you clean it up a bit, use OSPHO as a primer.
It is actually Phosphoric acid.
You should let it dry (harden) for at least two days, then rinse off the hazy residue.
If you have a West Marine nearby, they sell OSPHO, and it is often available in major hardware stores also.
I do not think Loew's or HD sell it.

/ Rust questions #5  
After you clean it up a bit, use OSPHO as a primer.
It is actually Phosphoric acid.
You should let it dry (hard,en) for at least two days, then rinse off the hazy residue.
If you have a West Marine nearby, they sell OSPHO, and it is often available in major hardware stores also.
I do not think Loew's or HD sell it.

:thumbsup:^^^ Yes,Phosphoric acid CONVERT'S the rust. I use a different brand but OSPHO is popular. Once dry,it doesn't recommend rinsing with water. If white doesn't come off with plastic bristle brush,just apply finish over it. Wire brushing save's acid and results in smoother finish.

/ Rust questions #6  
You can use muriatic acid which is basically hydrochloric acid. There are youtube videos out there showing how to use it. It's cheap and I believe that Lowe's sells it for under $10 a gallon. Ace Hardware is another one that sells it but more pricey.

/ Rust questions #7  
What the other posts said about using chemicals is quick and easier and it will Get It Done, but the problem is RUST ALWAYS comes back !

I have used POR15 with their prep-coating, and I thought it was done and over with... NOT ! The rust came back and like other things, once you touch it, it spreads.

Sand Blasting, and if necessary replacement of metal, IS the only real answer, any chance you can rent a blaster/compressor, it would... clean the rust, prep for paint, and the fix will last longer.

Good Luck on the Rust Fight !

/ Rust questions
Thanks. Sounds like these chemicals are not as easy a fix as they make them out to be.

Guess grinder and elbow grease it is.....

/ Rust questions #9  
I used to use a Loctite product called Extend, not sure if it is still available, but I painted it on some structural iron one time and it lasted almost 10 years before the rust came back.
I used it in many other places, but that location I knew when I built the project, and I kept a close look on it due to having to climb onto it weekly for inspection afterwards.

/ Rust questions #10  
Also you can paint a finish coat over it, or leave it primered as a finish coat, thats how I had left that structural iron, 10 years outside in the elements.