Comparison RV Antifreeze or Windshield washer for Tire loading?

/ RV Antifreeze or Windshield washer for Tire loading? #11  
Not living in colder climate, what is Rimguard made of and how much does it cost? My existing tractors just have water in the tires but then both are kept inside an insulated building. Temps here seldom drop below 25 and then just for a few days each year...

Ricn

Rim Guard is formulated from a byproduct of sugar beet processing so it comes from the American farm and goes back to the American farm. (taken from a Rimguard site). Rimguard is sometimes called Beet Juice.
Price varies by area or part of the country you are. In my area Rimguard is only sold and installed by authorized dealers and costs almost 1 1/2 times the price of RV antifreeze and more than double the price of windshield washer fluid. Rimguard is environmentally safe and non toxic.
Prices in my area are WW fluid $1.49 gallon, RV AF $2.49 gallon, Rimguard $3.94 gallon plus installation.

/ RV Antifreeze or Windshield washer for Tire loading? #12  
If you look at a toilet with RV antifreeze in it when it is very cold you will see that the antifreeze is no longer a liquid but a thick slush almost solid. I don t think a tractor tire would roll very smoothly in this situation. The WWA works well in my area which can go to -40
Dave M7040

Just curious. How low does the temperature have to go for RV antifreeze to turn to slush?

Steve

Last edited:
   / RV Antifreeze or Windshield washer for Tire loading?
Just curious. How low does the temperature have to go for RV antifreeze to slush?

Steve

Good question. Its guaranteed not to freeze till -50 while most windshield washes are -20 (some as high ad 32 and some as low as -40)

An important issue with slushing is that it occupies the same space as liquid whereas ice expands.

I don't know if windshield washer goes to slush or not or if it goes to ice right away.

/ RV Antifreeze or Windshield washer for Tire loading? #14  
Spend the few extra bucks and go with the Rimguard. More dense and worth the weight... It won't break the bank over all the yearsa nd it will be in your your tires. The only regrets I have about loading my tires is I didn't do it soon enough. I don't know why people bicker over 50 or a 100 dollars more when it wil last the life of the tractor. Do the math.. Just my 2 cents.

Not living in colder climate, what is Rimguard made of and how much does it cost? My existing tractors just have water in the tires but then both are kept inside an insulated building. Temps here seldom drop below 25 and then just for a few days each year...

Ricn

George is correct about Rimguard pricing. In this area there is a place I can buy it and self install. And its great for freezing issues because the county actually sprays it on roads when they are expecting ice storms will be coming.

Rimguard's orher big advantage is it is about 30% heavier per gallon so you get more weight in each tire thus cost per is somewhat offset.

The disadvantages aren't so much product price because you get more weight . . But its the installation charges are typically a bit steep .

Also . . Its messy and installers are not fond of doing it (hence the size of installation charges) . . .a little tough on air pressure checking tools also :)

Because it is a patented franchised product it has a limited number of dealers/ installers in any locale.

Last edited:
Spend the few extra bucks and go with the Rimguard. More dense and worth the weight... It won't break the bank over all the yearsa nd it will be in your your tires. The only regrets I have about loading my tires is I didn't do it soon enough. I don't know why people bicker over 50 or a 100 dollars more when it wil last the life of the tractor. Do the math.. Just my 2 cents.

If it was only 50 or 100 difference I'd certainly plan on rimguard . . but its far more than that. With installation you can figure 300 to 400 more.

/ RV Antifreeze or Windshield washer for Tire loading? #17  
On level ground, how full are the tires with Rim guard? See, I really don't know about this stuff.

Ricn

/ RV Antifreeze or Windshield washer for Tire loading? #18  
On level ground, how full are the tires with Rim guard? See, I really don't know about this stuff.

Ricn

Typically the valve stem is placed in the 10 or 2 o'clock range and filled until the fluid level reaches the same as the valve stem which is 70-75% full generally speaking. Then the valve put back together and aired up to the desired PSI.

/ RV Antifreeze or Windshield washer for Tire loading? #19  
Check out cabelas they are a often a rim guard dealer at the land management stores( the ones that sell tractors). I have found them to be much Cheeper than the smaller local dealers.

Check out cabelas they are a often a rim guard dealer at the land management stores( the ones that sell tractors). I have found them to be much Cheeper than the smaller local dealers.

Wow . . . What a great idea. I contacted Rimguard 5 months ago and they gave me a list of 4 places in a 30 mile radius ofmy zipcode but cabelas is 60 miles away and I had no clue they did rimguard.

As a result I will check with them monday as a backup plan and find out their pricing. Who knows . . Maybe it will justify a visit.

Tman . . a reasonable idea to at least pursue. I'll report back with what I find out.

Last edited: