Safe FEL use or not?

/ Safe FEL use or not? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
During this weekend's reroofing project my JD and loader was quite an asset, it greatly reduced the work involved in moving two layers of old shingles to a dumpster a distance away. We also used the loader bucket with a built up platform to hoist the bundles of new shingles to roof level, much easier than using a ladder.

My query is, how many TBN members use their FEL as a work platform when they need more space and stability than a ladder provides? We were working on a very steep roof and it was more practical to stand in the elevated bucket to work on the first few feet of the lower roof. Yes, I know the manual that is provided with a new loader warns against that stunt, as do numerous stickers plastered on the loader itself.
We did NOT operate the loader with anyone in it, the method was to climb a ladder, and enter the elevated bucket.

As the loader leaks down, the bucket settles, and we would exit it every 15 minutes, stand on the ladders and have my wife start the tractor and elevate the bucket once anew. The job is done, and we escaped injury, and would use the same method again if it seemed practical. The tractor was always off when someone was in the bucket, parking brake on, and the loader was so close to the house if it lost several inches of height the bucket would have scraped the building and stopped downward movement.

Do you guys think this an unsafe way to use the FEL? My feelings were, the loader bucket is less likely to fall than a ladder, and we had more space, thus being less prone to over reach. I'd welcome your comments, good or bad.

Thanks.

/ Safe FEL use or not? #2  
As long as there was someone manning the tractor to keep the loader in position, I'd do it.

/ Safe FEL use or not? #3  
Well I've never done that BUT what I have done that is similar, and also against the rules (and is probably a black mark on my "permenant record" somewhere) is stood on pallet forks of a forklift and used that as a platform to work. I've even been lifted up on the forks (which I am sure is a much bigger no-no).

What I would be more concerned with if I was you is the excessive bleed down of your bucket.

/ Safe FEL use or not? #4  
I've done it too...

The real risk is if a hose on the side of the cylinder that is holding the bucket up would fail, the loader could drop suddenly and without warning.

Myself I consider this a remote possiblility, but I also remember someone in the past reporting how he had his bucket up in the air holding something, and a hose burst without warning, and the bucket and whatever it was holding crashed to the ground. So it COULD happen...

/ Safe FEL use or not? #5  
Safety is a relative thing. Roofing your own building is a safety risk, so is being on a ladder. The likelyhood of a hose breaking is probably within the same limits as the ladder rung breaking, or you missing a rung when you are manuvering around to get to what you need.

Seems like a relatively safe thing to me, but it is a calculated risk.

Cliff

/ Safe FEL use or not? #6  
I think I would leave the machine running so it maintains the level of the loader. Other than that it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Roofing a steeply pitched roof is dangerous proposition no matter how you do it.

/ Safe FEL use or not? #7  
Guess my idea of being in the bucket to trim my cedars is also a no no, but that is the idea I have. Now all I need is the gas powered trimmer, and the wife to be in a good mood so she can operate the tractor with me in the bucket..........I need to make sure she is not mad at me, in other words.

/ Safe FEL use or not? #8  
Safe?
I can tell you 'unsafe'.
That is putting a 40' extension ladder in the bucket of a C Farmall when I was 16, and spray painting the side of a barn that was 50' from the ground. THEN, tired of climbing all the way down each time to move over a few feet, the 22 year old farmer's son just jockeyed the tractor 'crab style' and I jiggled the ladder over (just to save that long trip down and back up). Lasted about half way down the side of the barn (thought we were pretty clever at the time, as the painting was going pretty fast).
Then, a rear tractor wheel dipped into a shallow hole, the bucket moved a loooooong ways, and the ladder came down along the barn with me at the top.
Broke the ladder in many pieces when the top of the ladder hit a large corner post at the corner of the barn, which broke my fall as I went through the ladder. Came to rest standing up, with one hand resting on top of the corner post. Unbelievable, but its just the way it happened. Farmer was most upset because it was a borrowed 40' extension ladder.
Now, that was 'unsafe'. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Safe FEL use or not? #9  
Works for me. I remember trimming the tops off of the apple trees for my father in law many years ago. I was up in the bucket of my old 8N with a chainsaw.

/ Safe FEL use or not? #10  
well heres my view on this, often times in industrial sutiations a man basket is used on a forklift, this is considered safe by osha provided that it has the proper height railings and is attached to the forklift by a safety chain so it cant slide off the forks. in this case you are also relying on hydraulic hoses and cylinders just as you are in the loader, so in my opinion as long as you hoses and such are in good shape i wouldnt worry much about the loader dropping but since you have no safety railings you should be carefull but its no more dangerous than working on a plank of scaffolding or a ladder for that matter, even being lifted up in the bucket is almost safer than climbing a ladder and getting into it that way