sawmill platform? What to use?

/ sawmill platform? What to use? #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
I want to make a permanent platform for my sawmill.
I was thinking the base of a 40ft shipping container would be good.
I would like to have 30 feet because....you know.....???

So that's one idea.

I don't want to pour concrete, it's just not worth the cost.
Maybe mixing a few bags for footings etc.

Or a truck-frame or a motor home frame or ??
I remember my dad had a motor home frame and every time I saw it I thought "what a monstrous POS to have on your property, get RID of it!"
Now I want it.

Who has ideas and also.... where to find this kinda stuff?
=======
( dec 13..... Added a pic showing what i have now)
cutting_cedar1.jpg

Last edited:
   / sawmill platform? What to use? #3  
Check out this forum you will get a lot of good stuff here

You don't say what you've got for saw equipment, what size logs you plan to process, what volume of production - these factors will determine how or what you need to do.

Go electric 3 phase and concrete foundations if you are serious. Get a portable mill on wheels if you are in it for fun.

/ sawmill platform? What to use?
OK good point.
I should have known that!😤 The request is too vague.
And no pic, no interest!

I edited the top post, adding a pic of what I have now.

19" Hud-Son bandsaw. I have to drag the track out of the barn onto a slab every time I want to use it. It's in the way of other stuff, plugging up my 18 foot door etc.
I have 24 feet of track, so can cut a board 22 feet long currently.
I only cut wood when I have a specific project. But I would do more projects if it was a quicker setup.

If I could leave the track in place and just carry the bandsaw out, set it on the track, that would make sawing much easier. And putting away us easier too if I can leave the track alone. I can move the bandsaw around, chained to the tractor bucket.

I guess it's like a "slightly portable" mill. Actually having it on a trailer is not a bad idea, but then there's license fees, tires to keep inflated etc. So I thought a scrap trailer frame, set somewhere "stable", near the barn, on concrete footings would be good enough.

Thx for the link to the forestry forum, I started the process to join!

Last edited:
   / sawmill platform? What to use? #5  
If I could leave the track in place and just carry the bandsaw out, set it on the track, that would make sawing much easier. And putting away us easier too if I can leave the track alone. I can move the bandsaw around, chained to the tractor bucket.
What is preventing you from leaving the mill where it is? Why do you need to carry it in and out of the barn? I would drill and pour concrete piers to set it on and leave it in place. Build a shed for the sawhead to reside in and protect the rest of the track from the weather with a couple sections of metal roof with stiffener bars.

That's my entry slab.
To the left of the pic is the rollup door etc.
I've been sawing on my entry slab for 10 years.
It works but I have to do a setup & takedown every time I saw.

I live a few hours away so don't leave anything of interest visible "outside".

/ sawmill platform? What to use? #8  
Bet you can get a trashed RV or mobile home for next to nothing, tear down and build your platform on the frame. Getting it to your place will be the expensive part.

yep Eagle1
I need tips how to find that kind of thing.
Other than just keeping eyes peeled.

I've probably seen hundreds, but then when I want one I can't think how to find one.

What kind of business etc ends up with that stuff,
and hoping that someone will come ask to take it away
- so they don't have to haul it.?

I have a car-trailer that can hold about 24 feet.
I can cut and re-weld.
I just gotta find it.

/ sawmill platform? What to use? #10