sawmill platform? What to use?

/ sawmill platform? What to use? #21  
Bolt the track down to concrete piers or to a concrete slab. That's gonna be a lot less expensive, easier and sturdier than a mobile home or truck frame. Either of those is still going to need some sort of base anyway and given their larger size, the base will need to be bigger than it would for just the track. It's also gonna raise the whole thing up higher than you may want it to be.

Also, FWIW, a laser level makes setting up and leveling a sawmill a breeze.
Duh!! Laser level! Why didn't I think of that, been using a six foot bubble level for five years now. Laser level sitting in a box. Thanks BlueKnife

/ sawmill platform? What to use?
When done sawing for the year it goes in the barn on heavy saw horses to be able to pallets on the floor under. Jon
I've been setting my sawmill on a couple 'furniture dollies' on the barn floor.

Yes on laser level, especially a green laser. How about adding a platform on the carriage that puts the laser line at blade height.
Then you can see exactly where the blade's gonna cut. I suppose depending on where the sunshine is. But maybe you can debark that laser line with a chainsaw.
Or pressure-wash that laser line.

Last edited:
   / sawmill platform? What to use? #23  
My old Baker bandmill was built just like yours, I could cut up to a 28” diameter and about 16’ long. I had the track mounted on treated 6x6 posts and I forked my mill head in/out of my shed when need to mill something. I sold it at the beginning of summer and bought a new Woodland Mills that is still in the shipping crate in my shed. I am accumulating parts to build a trailer for it. Hopefully I’ll be done by spring.

/ sawmill platform? What to use? #24  
My old Baker bandmill was built just like yours, I could cut up to a 28” diameter and about 16’ long. I had the track mounted on treated 6x6 posts and I forked my mill head in/out of my shed when need to mill something. I sold it at the beginning of summer and bought a new Woodland Mills that is still in the shipping crate in my shed. I am accumulating parts to build a trailer for it. Hopefully I’ll be done by spring.
Been getting a lot of use out of my HM126, great machine.