Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #61  
JJZ 109 said:
You don't know me from the next guy that posts here, so save your "arrogant" comment.
The "arrogant" comment was directed at all the Phord Phans and it's clear to see who they are just by reading any thread about a GM or Chrysler vehicle. They have nothing to stand on but pathetic bailout comments instead of actually comparing vehicles leaving the politics out. If you want to state your preference for vehicles, start another thread and all you Ford guys can go and pat each other on the back and quote sales numbers. To make useless comments like yours about bailouts in a thread like this is arrogant and typical of Phord Phans...

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #62  
Re: Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few e

I will go ahead and comment since I have not on such a topic yet. Here is what I know, I wouldn't take a chance on it simply because of history and build quality. I come from thinking, anything will last if you take care of it, but from what I have read and seen in the past 15 years, the quality is not there yet. I am sure it is getting better, but not up to the other two (or three if you want to count the tundra)

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #63  
Re: Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few e

Only Ford I ever owned was a new 1976 Ford Elite. Biggest pile of **** I have ever owned. It was my 1 st & last Ford

Wow, 36 years of brand unloyality from a single bad purchase. Seeing that during most of those years there were only three legitimate truck manufacturers, that takes 1/3 of the market away. What would happen if the next two trucks you got were lemons as well from the remaining two? Surely, in 36 years, each manufacturer had a bad generation or two. I have a father-in-law and grandfather who will buy nothing but GM products and trade every other year on cars and trucks. I feel they have missed out several times on a better product in certain years.

Each new vehicle purchase I make take days of studying to determine who currently has the best match for my needs. I have owned a vehicle from just about every manufacturer and I don't remember ever buying two of the same brands consecutively. I guess it would make it real simple in my next purchase if I would just have to take my checkbook to the dealer of my one and only brand but I am not that confident that times haven't changed since my last purchase.

I will say that I have been happily married to the same wife for 17 years and would definitely want the same make/model again next time. Now if humans evolved as quickly as trucks, I would want to test drive every generation that hits the market. :)

Jeff

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #64  

Dmace is correct on the point of the 545re being a six speed. It does have two second gears, one for the upshift, one for the downshift.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #65  

I've always said that the new Dodge's are the best looking trucks on the round - bar none. I am starting to come around on them in general and even considered purchasing one for my most recent truck purchase. I still don't know if I'd feel comfortable buying a non Aisin transmission equipped diesel powered Ram, but I am sufficiently convinced that the hemi powered truck transmissions are solid. I put more miles on my hemi powered government vehicle than I do on any of my personally owned vehicles and I will say that the hemi is a very impressive engine. I will say that there's no way that I would buy an eight speed transmission equipped truck from the first year or two of production, but that goes for Ford and Chevy as well. I am hopeful that Dodge is improving nicely as I've always loved their styling. When any manufacturer ups their game, it's a good thing for all of us.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #66  
Dmace said:
I'd hate to sound stereotypical but I'm not surprised some arrogant Phord Phan made a response like that...

So what "American brand" didn't take "Uncle Sugar's money"?
Ford? :laughing: :laughing: The company that's received BILLIONS of tax payer dollars in the US and Europe? :laughing:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/economy/markets-mainmenu-45/1290
The company that has mortgaged everything they own to the max just to refinance with interest free government loans?
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/10/report-ford-using-government-backed-loans-to-pay-off-debt/

It's sad really that a Phord Phan can't let a competing manufacturer thread go without some mention of government bailout. Truth is us tax payers will eventually make money off our investment in GM and Chrysler where Ford will never make us money. There's plenty of threads about this so feel free to continue there instead of wasting our time in this thread with your sad attemps to justify your preference...

Give it a break. You know its not even remotely similar.

GM and Dodge are a different story. Fiat saved Dodge and the tax payers got stuck with that other company.

Learn to spell also dip...... I never call a GM or Dodge anything but. Maybe you can't get it right do I will help, its Ford.
Chris

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #67  

If one of the "gears" was just TC lock-up then why are the SIX gear ratios listed?
Once again, THERE ARE SIX FORWARD GEARS IN THE 545RFE TRANSMISSION! In my book, that makes it a six speed.
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
2nd Prime 1.50:1
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.75:1
5th 0.67:1
Reverse 3.00:1
During normal operation only 5 are used but a seperate 2nd gear is used for downshifts. The 68RFE uses all 6 and each gear can be held with the ERS (Electronic Range Selector)
The 45RFE, 545RFE, and 65RFE automatic transmission for Jeeps and Rams

For me AND DODGE the 545rfe is a 5spd. Again the dodge uses the first digit of the trans model to designate the # of gears. it does not use all gears sequentially from bottom to top and top to bottom like the 68fre which I AND DODGE call a 6spd since it uses ALL gears when upshifting.

Wrong, under normal operation it's 1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th but will use that 6th gear when down shifting to 2nd (1.67:1 instead of 1.50:1). The difference is the 68RFE is programmed to use ALL 6 gears normally.
The 545RFE may ACT as a 5 speed but it DOES have 6 speeds. Call it what you want, it really doesn't matter since they already moved on to a 6 speed 68RFE and now 8 speed...
how many gear positions are there on the on your truck? if it was like my durango, it has 1-2-d-od. making it a 4spd.(with an alternate 2nd that makes it a 5spd) hence the trans designation as a 545rfe. Can you select 6 gears in your 545 rfe? No, I know I can on my 68rfe! and it I was counting what I "thought" were gear shifts I have a 9spd. with my 68rfe

Dmace is correct on the point of the 545re being a six speed. It does have two second gears, one for the upshift, one for the downshift.

see above!

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #68  
Diamondpilot said:
Maybe you can't get it right do I will help, its Ford.
Chris
Speaking of spelling... :laughing:
You obviously don't get the purposely misspelled words.
Diamondpilot said:
Give it a break. You know its not even remotely similar.
GM and Dodge are a different story.
Your right, different story. Like I said, we will make money back from GM and Chrysler in the form of interest and stock sales. Ford will NEVER pay back the BILLIONS they receieved...
Diamondpilot said:
Learn to spell also dip.....
It's funny that the truth gets you so flustered you have to resort to name calling. What are you, 6? :laughing:
scrappy isb67 said:
how many gear positions are there on the on your truck? if it was like my durango, it has 1-2-d-od. making it a 4spd.(with an alternate 2nd that makes it a 5spd) hence the trans designation as a 545rfe. Can you select 6 gears in your 545 rfe? No, I know I can on my 68rfe! and it I was counting what I "thought" were gear shifts I have a 9spd. with my 68rfe
Boy, you really don't get it...
Now the 545RFE is a 4 speed? :laughing:
They called it a 545rfe because it normally only uses 5 gears but it's a 6 speed. A simple reprogram of the TCM will make my 545rfe a true 6 speed auto.
Your 68RFE HAS THE SAME NUMBER OF GEARS only programmed to use all 6. I can't explain it any simpler, if you dont get it, then I can't help...

Last edited:
   / Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #69  

If you want to state your preference for vehicles, start another thread and all you Ford guys can go and pat each other on the back and quote sales numbers. To make useless comments like yours about bailouts in a thread like this is arrogant and typical of Phord Phans...

When you become a moderator or administrator of this particular site, then you can talk to me about where and when I post.
Until then, you have no standing to tell anyone anything and I'll post where I please on these pages.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #70  
JJZ 109 said:
When you become a moderator or administrator of this particular site, then you can talk to me about where and when I post.
Until then, you have no standing to tell anyone anything and I'll post where I please on these pages.
At least make your posts useful or your just wasting our time...