Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #161  
Very nice.

Have you decided what kind of lettering you're going to use.

Perhaps a name.

CAT 11
Cat 0.22
Halfcat
Microcat
Minipillar
MOUSE
ANT
Gnat 22

Last edited:
   / Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #162  
This is so awesome. It makes me reminisce about my youth and how cool it would have been to have a "toy" like this. I spent hours of (stolen from farm work) play time in the sand pile with my Matchbox and Tonka cars, trucks and equipment. I would have given them all up to have what you are building for your son. Can't tell you how many wooden plows I fabricated for my bicycle, wooden grader blades under my red wagon and play roads through the woods I cleared and leveled. My only question: is your son helping you build it?

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #163  
His son is only 2 if I read this correctly. Amazing project.

When your son does get older you two should have tons of fun creating and fixing stuff. I enjoy it with mine who are now in their late teens. Time flies by so quickly.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #164  
And my son is still a little too young to help. He'll be two in June. He'll be wanting to help before I know it though.

Let's hope your son grows up interested in dozers and tractors and doesn't want to be a TV chef or a tailor. Not that there is anything wrong with either of those but it'll be a shame!:D

Fantastic work BTW, I keep popping in just to see your progress.:thumbsup:

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
Edit: Probably should discuss how the rubber tracks compare to R1, R2, etc.:)

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I follow....

Very nice.

Have you decided what kind of lettering you're going to use.

Perhaps a name.

CAT 11
Cat 0.22
Halfcat
Microcat
Minipillar
MOUSE
ANT
Gnat 22

Actually, I haven't. But that's something I eventually need to think of. I like HalfCat. It actually is half scale of a model 28 (there is one local out front of a cat dealer that I measured before I began).

This is so awesome. It makes me reminisce about my youth and how cool it would have been to have a "toy" like this. I spent hours of (stolen from farm work) play time in the sand pile with my Matchbox and Tonka cars, trucks and equipment. I would have given them all up to have what you are building for your son. Can't tell you how many wooden plows I fabricated for my bicycle, wooden grader blades under my red wagon and play roads through the woods I cleared and leveled. My only question: is your son helping you build it?

I remember when Tonka trucks were made of metal. I beat the crap out of them and they still worked. So many toys now barely last a year. They are just throw aways. Everything is plastic. That's one of the reasons why i'm building this. Old school, all metal, built to last (and probably then some).

And no, he's not helping. He'll be 2 in June. However, last night, we were walking in through the garage, and he always points at it and says bulldozer. And this time, he stopped and picked up a wrench that I had sitting on the tracks and started playing around. I had visions of the future fun we'll have building things.

Let's hope your son grows up interested in dozers and tractors and doesn't want to be a TV chef or a tailor. Not that there is anything wrong with either of those but it'll be a shame!:D

Fantastic work BTW, I keep popping in just to see your progress.:thumbsup:

True. My wife has similar thoughts. She says "what if he wants to be a dancer?" Well, I'll love him either way. I went through a basketball phase and didn't feel like working in the garage with my dad and brother. Whatever he wants to do is fine. But of course, it would be more fun if we were building crazy projects. Trust me, I have a long list of things I want to build after this. The dozer is just the beginning.

So I've been working hard to get this thing running. I'm very anxious. I don't have a ton of pictures because it isn't really exciting work.

So first random thing is, the return to center assembly for the pumps was a little strange on mine. I'll show step by step of how it goes together.

IMG_0494_zpsd63761d5.jpg

IMG_0495_zps97036888.jpg

This is the part that is strange. One direction is returned to center by this tiny little spring. It wasn't even enough to return the lever to center.

IMG_0496_zps5f6943d9.jpg

Then the other direction has a large spring tied to a stationary arm.

IMG_0497_zpsa1a46419.jpg

Normally, on other assemblies I've seen, these two levers oppose each other and are connected by the same spring. I want that. So several months ago, I tried to order the correct arm but after waiting on backorder for a long time, I was told it was discontinued. So, I made my own.

I had my friend cut out some blanks that I drew in cad.

BD0430_zps7db49f81.jpg

Then finished the bore.

BD0432_zps0f7613c4.jpg

I made a very crude stamp to bend them. I didn't feel like spending a lot of time on it so it looks like crap but it works. I didn't take any pictures of it working though.

IMG_0500_zpsd6b843c2.jpg

I also flipped the assembly to work with my linkage design.

IMG_0501_zps96c7e498.jpg

Now, the way I wanted it.

IMG_0502_zpsab53beaa.jpg

I didn't take many pictures of the linkage build but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_0507_zps4e438830.jpg

IMG_0508_zps7650b6e6.jpg

IMG_0509_zps07910ff8.jpg

I still need to mount the return dampers but I'm waiting for the hydraulic control valve for the blade to show up so I can design a crossmember. Should be here tomorrow.

In this time since the last update, I also made sure everything fit, designed the belt tensioner for the engine to jackshaft belt and ordered some more fittings.

Need to shorten the pump to motor hoses and route the charge pump hoses once I get the crossmember figured out. Should hopefully be running in about a month. Then it might be time for a break.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #166  
I can imagine when your kid is 6
What he will want to bring to school for Show & Tell.

I can imagine when your kid is 6
What he will want to bring to school for Show & Tell.

I can't blame him. I would want to do the same thing.

Mostly working on small things lately. I had to take it apart again to fix some welds that annoyed me. And to fix a bracket I welded on upside down (or flipped you could say) that interfered with the motor. So I flipped the frame over to get to it.....and proceeded to cut off the bracket that I actually welded on correctly. ******. I haven't had a lot of time lately to work on it so when I do, sometimes I feel the tendency to rush a bit. And I wasn't paying attention. So I cut off the other one and welded them back on the right way this time.

Here is a shot of just the frame.

IMG_0512_zpsa1f3f447.jpg

I'm taking the weekend off. I'll pick back up next week. Getting close to taking it for a spin. Also starting to think more about the blade.

That is all.

What a work of art! I wish I was your son!

Thank you. It's really looking good.

Still been working hard even though time is getting more and more scarce now that it's warm out.

Got the linkage pretty much done and figured out all of the hose routing except for the case drain (after buying too many fittings from surplus center).

Have to get the high pressure hoses crimped this week. And hook up the tank. And put all the pulleys and belts back on. Then I should be able to wire up the engine and start it up to bleed the pumps. If all goes well, I'll bolt on the rest of the undercarriage and take it for a test drive.

The pictures are hard to look at because there is so much clutter. All in all, it turned out alright. I could always do things better the second time of course. If anybody wants to see some close up pictures, let me know.

BD0484_zpsa53e4065.jpg

BD0487_zps01da63b5.jpg

This is the side I like. Since both pumps are "right hand side" I had to twist the hoses on the other side. They clear and it works. It just looks different. I forgot to take a picture though.

BD0486_zps62882613.jpg

That is all.