scared myself today

/ scared myself today #21  
put knots every few feet and put carabiners in the rope

That's a great & easy solution but the tight wad in me is compelled to add:

Using a single mechanical rope grab would be cheaper than buying a bunch of caribiners and allow you to have precise control of where you set your anchor point. (Downside - you must remember to set the rope gram so it's holding)

Cheaper still (and pretty darn easy really) would be learning to tie a prussik knot. For fall arrest I would use 2 and make one about a foot longer than the other so they have some space between them when you set them on the safety line -at least a hand span as the bare minimum (Downside - takes a little time & skill to learn to tie correctly the first couple times)

/ scared myself today #22  
Cheaper still (and pretty darn easy really) would be learning to tie a prussik knot. For fall arrest I would use 2 and make one about a foot longer than the other so they have some space between them when you set them on the safety line -at least a hand span as the bare minimum (Downside - takes a little time & skill to learn to tie correctly the first couple times)
I will have to try that knot. Just need some "human rated" rope to tie it with :D

Aaron Z

/ scared myself today
Got upon the ladder today looked across the roof at roof level and you can see the pollen. But cannot see it looking strait down on roof. It is no wonder that I got myself in trouble and was not able to move in any direction without sliding.

/ scared myself today #24  
I would also keep all the truck keys on the roof with me so nobody accidentally drives off and pulls me off of the roof.

Aaron Z
About 35-years ago my wife's friend did that exact same thing to her husband. They had an A-frame house, he tied a rope to the bumper to her VW bug, while he was up on the roof she came out of the house and told him she was running to town. He never said a word to her about the rope being tied to the bumper to her car:confused:! When she started it, he started yelling but she drove off. Believe it or not, he didn't get hurt all that bad:shocked:. Scraped up pretty good, but no broken bones.

/ scared myself today #25  
About 35-years ago my wife's friend did that exact same thing to her husband. They had an A-frame house, he tied a rope to the bumper to her VW bug, while he was up on the roof she came out of the house and told him she was running to town. He never said a word to her about the rope being tied to the bumper to her car:confused:! When she started it, he started yelling but she drove off. Believe it or not, he didn't get hurt all that bad:shocked:. Scraped up pretty good, but no broken bones.

You'd think this could not happen but then I know someone who's driven off with the gas nozzle still stuck in the tank. Three times!:laughing: The scary bit is she works in an ER. :eek:

/ scared myself today #26  
You'd think this could not happen but then I know someone who's driven off with the gas nozzle still stuck in the tank. Three times!:laughing: The scary bit is she works in an ER. :eek:

Hope she doesn't "drive off" with the Foley catheter in at work! :shocked:

/ scared myself today #27  
But I bet she forgets to unplug the bed before moving it. (Don't ask how I know this happens).

/ scared myself today #29  
I will have to try that knot. Just need some "human rated" rope to tie it with :D

Aaron Z

See the Harbor Freight thread.... :laughing:

I used to use that knot when I worked as a lifeguard on a man-made white water course. Its simple and works great. Holds you in place until you take the weight off of it and slide it on the line.

/ scared myself today #30  
Years ago my brother in law and I got a contract to frame a small subdivision of two story houses. The roof deck was 2x6 T&G with the roughsawn side down and the planed side up. With a bit of sawdust on it those roofs were slick. I think they were 7 in 12. We were not too interested in safety those days but we were not altogether stupid. After the first slip and slide we nailed 2x4s at the edge of the roof our theory being that it would stop you going over if you slid to the edge. We finished up with plenty of short slides but never all the way down. So I don't know if that was a good plan or not.