scared myself today

/ scared myself today #31  
I remember a friend working on a barn roof .. They were tied off to a tractor .. He pulled the key out of the tractor , then chained his pick up to it .. All the keys stayed in his pocket until they were done .. You never can be too safe ..

/ scared myself today #32  
I remember a friend working on a barn roof .. They were tied off to a tractor .. He pulled the key out of the tractor , then chained his pick up to it .. All the keys stayed in his pocket until they were done .. You never can be too safe ..

LIKE !!!

/ scared myself today #33  
Saw dust will make OSB treacherous also - safe one minute and slippery the next. Cant be too careful.

/ scared myself today #34  
Guys who built my barn had some kind of "galoshes" on their boots when working on the roof. I saw them walking without slipping. Some time later I was adding a vent there. Got on the roof in tennis shoes and I was sliding with little control. Then I went there barefoot and was able to install the vent. So material of your soles makes big difference.

/ scared myself today #35  
Guys who built my barn had some kind of "galoshes" on their boots when working on the roof. I saw them walking without slipping. Some time later I was adding a vent there. Got on the roof in tennis shoes and I was sliding with little control. Then I went there barefoot and was able to install the vent. So material of your soles makes big difference.

Not looking forward to walking barefoot on a tin roof in the summer:sun:

/ scared myself today #37  
I've always built a portable chicken ladder. Long 2x4 with a 2-3 foot section of 2x4 attached at one end like an L. Put a lot of 1' sections of 2x4 up the length of the long 2x4 as "rungs". Slide it up on the roof with the 2-3' section up top and let it hang over the ridge. Stand a ladder up to it and climb up. As it needs to move, go to the ridge and lift it up some and slide it over as far as is needed and climb back down.

/ scared myself today #38  
Many many years ago I worked part time for a carpenter after my day job. One beautiful summer evening he and I and a couple of other guys tore the shingles and felt off of a roof on a house preparing to change the pitch and do a re-roof. We were almost finished and had about an hour of daylight left when a storm front moved in. Wanting to keep the interior of the home dry, we went to the local hardware store and bought tarps to cover the entire roof deck. What was available were huge blue plastic tarps, about 40 X 40 which worked quite well.
but as we were buttoning up the ridge, the rain started.
What we had done was created the worlds largest slip and slide. One step on the wet tarp and off the roof you go. All of us wound up on the ground at one point, sliding off the end into hedges or flower beds. Fortunately nobody was seriously hurt, some scrapes and bruises.
But the sight at dusk of people standing on the roof....then just disappearing is both unforgettable and funny.
We paid more attention to the weather forecast after that.
And as far as metal roofs.....when ever we had to work on them we rubbed a bit of gasoline on the soles of the work boots. It softened them up just a bit and made them "stick" to the roof. (never on painted roofs, just the galvanized tin types.)

/ scared myself today #40  
Here's what ya do. As suggested, pull a big rope (climbers rope preferably) over the top. Anchor it at both ends. If the roof or work area is going to be real wide use 2 ropes equal distance apart. Then get one of these http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...gclid=CLnAnIek78wCFYSDaQodUrAMww&gclsrc=aw.ds (actually get it first). It's a hunters tree stand vest. I have one and I use it when trimming trees. It WILL hold your weight and save your life if you fall.

Learn how to tie a Prussik knot, better yet I think one comes with the vest, and learn how to use it. It will absolutely hold you in position while you work. I loaned mine to my Neice's husband while he did the metal roof on their small house, and he loved it.