Rear Blade Scrape blade width for my tractor?

/ Scrape blade width for my tractor? #21  
I have a 27HP FWD tractor and use a 6' blade . It will suprize you how much those little tractors will pull. If you go over 6' you have to take blade off to turn around.

This is not always true, depends on brand and quality of the blade. I have a 9 foot blade that will turn 360 degrees. In the picture the boom is offset and I can still fully turn the blade. I also have a $1000 8 foot rear blade that has a long enough boom to allow this.
I think that it is usually the lower $$$ blades that have the problem that you have described.

Attachments

• P5080012.JPG
    P5080012.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 349
  • P4070012.JPG
    P4070012.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 506
   / Scrape blade width for my tractor? #22  
I have a Kubota B2920 (28 hp). The rear tires span 4 ft outside to outside. I have a dirt road that is sloped the wrong way. I have tried to grade it with my box blade, but since the box blade follows the slope of the tractor, I cannot change the slope of the road.

Thoughts?

Not to sound crass, but you don't appear to understand how to use a box blade to re-contour a road.

1) Draw the adjustable side 3pt arm UP to angle the box strongly. Don't (DON'T!!!) adjust that side down or the adjuster can break from the stress. I've proven that :laughing:.

2) Lower the box such that the high side is still a bit off the ground (1" to 3") and make your passes in just the one direction. The spoils will then move to the low side and go out the back and side. Use the scarifiers as deep as you can pull it. Small machines often won't be able to pull a full box with them set deep, so you need to experiment. Maybe just set them on one side of the box.

3) Work from the high side to the low side to reduce the high. As the contour gets back to flat, you need to readjust the angle less and less. If you don't you can wind up with a series of shallow ditches.

Alternate method
If you have the ability to drive across the road, you can set the box flat and shave off the high side and as you get to the middle of the road, raise the box slowly and dump the dirt. It's a lot of back and forth, but works well.

A straight blade will move the dirt faster, but used with a small tractor it may not be able to dig. I've got one small machine that will skitter the back end of the tractor sideways from the pressure exerted by the blade when angled sharply. The blade is a 7' and it can spin 360 no problem. Bought used for a couple hundred.