Screw In Tire Studs

/ Screw In Tire Studs #31  
With the deep threads on tractor tires a poor man's solution is self tapping metal screws like the kind that have a 7/16" hex head and a washer like shape under the head.
While not carbide they are hardened to the point of being 'drill bit hard' and wear quite well.
While great on ice, asphalt and concrete might not be as kind to them.

/ Screw In Tire Studs #32  
Hey! Those are neat! Expensive? My backhoe goes great in snow,but glare ice....not great. I'd like to try those. don-ohio :)^)

/ Screw In Tire Studs #33  
I've been using 1/4" hex head sheet metal screws in my boots and other shoes for several years now. The hex heads have a slot as well and I enlarge that slot on the corner edge of a grinder to V it out making pretty sharp edges that really grip the ice. I'm quite pleased with them on shoes that have thick soles! I install and remove to replace them with a vari-speed drill and 1/4" driver bit. I would think the same technique on a larger scale would work for tractor tires though I doubt they would last long, certainly not like carbide would.

Dennis Thornton

/ Screw In Tire Studs #34  
Hi,Dennis! I see your point.I just don't know,though, if a regular screw would stay in under thr force of a tire under tons of weight? Maybe it would,though. I'd hate to be dropping potential flat tires on the roads for unsuspecting motorists.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

/ Screw In Tire Studs #35  
Hi,Dennis! I see your point.I just don't know,though, if a regular screw would stay in under thr force of a tire under tons of weight? Maybe it would,though. I'd hate to be dropping potential flat tires on the roads for unsuspecting motorists.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

I use the Maxi studs on the front of of a L5030 with a loader for weight. Never seen one come out. I use Aquilineョ MPC chains on the rear for ice. We had ice yesterday and on paved road ice with steep slopes I won't even try with less. The front studs have been in for three years and they don't show wear. Nowhere near good chains, but a far sight better than rubber. Not much use in snow, but you can turn and pull on ice. Good compromise for me and they don't overstress the front drive train.

/ Screw In Tire Studs #36  
I'll check out those chains...thanks Chilibit! don-ohio

/ Screw In Tire Studs #37  
Howdy Ralph. Bob here originally from Sussex. I too considered those studs for my CK35 but balked at the price. I called my dealer to see if lag screws would also work......they do! I spent $20 on 200 1" lags and have just done the fronts thus far and there is a huge inprovement. No more 'crabbing' while pushing snow on icy base. ck35 026.jpg
Have fun in the snow!!
Bob

/ Screw In Tire Studs #38  
Could always put up a pole barn, and start repairing/selling tires:laughing:

/ Screw In Tire Studs #39  
Heheh! Verrry funny! don-ohio :)^)

/ Screw In Tire Studs #40  
I am piling brush with a 988B, is there such a thing as studs that Big/Strong that will work for that that anyone knows of?
Thanks
Jordan