SCUT winter warmup.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

In my Western Wisconsin radius we as yet have no snow (plenty of rain) . . And seldom has it been below 32 degrees and then at night.

But that will be changing some in the Holiday timeframes. For us currently its like t shirt and long sleeve shirt weather :)

While I have a Massey GC1715 . . I assume most SCUTs have similar needs.

1. I've got antigel additive mixed in my highway diesel fuel. Surely don't want gel formation in tank or filter or anywhere :)

2. I've seen several posters claim they use starting fluid or ether in their tractors. Well . . the manual is very very clear in bold letters . . No starting fluid or ether if you use glow plugs. Not only can you damage your tractor but it can void the warranty. And all manufacturers love a legitimate method to deny. AND remember . . Insurance companies are even better at it so they would not cover improper use activity either.

3. Lets assume a SCUT is stored in an unheated building. Then:

A. Above 39° its glow plugs on 5 seconds and start . . Warm up a few minutes.

B. 32° to 15° its glow plugs on 10 seconds and start . . Warm up time 10 to 20 minutes.

C. 15° to -5° its glow plugs on 15 seconds and start . . Warm up time 20 to 30 minutes.

D. -5° to brrrr° its glow plugs on 15 seconds and start . . Warm up time 30 to 40 minutes. While you sip a brandy or jack daniels.

4. Now I have an engine block heater . . which is good . . but that heater does nothing for my transmission or hydraulic fluids and units.

So what do other scut operators do to keep their units operating and healthy when the shivers start to come ?

/ SCUT winter warmup. #2  
My routine is hold the switch to energize the glow plugs for 10 or 15 seconds, then attempt a start. If it starts, fine. If not, go for another 10 seconds on the glow plugs. After it's started, back out of the shed with the engine running above idle. Drive slowly at an idle for a few minutes and when the heater throws heat - good to go. The temps can get to single digits here on rare occasions. Teens aren't unusual.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #3  
I start mine at idle with 10-15 seconds on the glow plugs. I then engage both the rear and mid-mount PTO's and rev up the engine to approximately 15-1800 rpm for 15 minutes. Operate the FEL a few times during warm up to get warm oil to the cylinders.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #4  
It depends on the tractor for me. Some of my machines are old and want to fight a real cold start so they get a few turns without and then a small dose of starting fluid to bring them to life. My newer machines all start fine cold with the glow plugs but the JD has lately become a little harder to start but then again I don't run it very often at all so maybe its time to disconnect those glow plugs and start using starting fluid when I need to run it also.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #5  
Heed your manual.Plug in the block heater(use a timer if you want),run the glow plugs,your fuel is treated and you should have no problems.Let it warm up a bit before running.NO ether on the newer diesels.
My Kubota will start at 20F. with-out using the block heater.

/ SCUT winter warmup.
I start mine at idle with 10-15 seconds on the glow plugs. I then engage both the rear and mid-mount PTO's and rev up the engine to approximately 15-1800 rpm for 15 minutes. Operate the FEL a few times during warm up to get warm oil to the cylinders.

Are you engaging your ptos right away or after the units has run xx time? At what outside temps ?

/ SCUT winter warmup. #7  
What would be interesting to make would be a plug in hydraulic fluid circulator / warmer. Connect into the drain plug with a quick connect and then a hose back into the filler hole with with the hydraulic fluid being pumped from the bottom drain plug into a pump that passes it through a radiator/heat-exchanged with some magnetic or stick on heaters and then pumps it back into the tank. I assume it would be easy to make just a matter of figuring out the flows of something like 1 gpm and put in quick connects. Probably could use some copper piping with foam around them to retain the heat.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #8  
Are you engaging your ptos right away or after the units has run xx time? At what outside temps ?

I usually wait till the oil in the engine is circulated well. No attachments on the PTO's during the cold. My normal cold is in mid to low 20's. Occasionally below zero but not common.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #9  
-20F and lower, I use the block heater for 4 hours before going out to start it. 2 cycles of the glow plugs and it starts right up. Idle up to 1200-1500 rpm and shift the lever for the rear remotes to pump oil through the anti-deadhead hose. Go back in the house and guzzle another pot of coffee, then go to work. I do unplug it before starting.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #10  
Once I start my ASV 30 or JD 3520 using glow plugs if necessary, I let them warm up at least 15 minutes. Then I exercise the hydralics some and good to go. After running either, I also give them cool down time.