SCUT winter warmup.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #11  
I do unplug it before starting.

Ha ha... smart man!

For me its 15 seconds of glow plug, let idle for 15-ish minutes @ 1200-1500 and get to work. I do like the idea of cycling the FEL to warm up the cylinders prior to getting to work. I'll start doing that. Lately our temps haven't dropped below 30F, but so far I haven't had problems starting it.

Chris

/ SCUT winter warmup. #12  
I do unplug it before starting.

Ha ha... smart man!

For me its 15 seconds of glow plug, let idle for 15-ish minutes @ 1200-1500 and get to work. I do like the idea of cycling the FEL to warm up the cylinders prior to getting to work. I'll start doing that. Lately our temps haven't dropped below 30F, but so far I haven't had problems starting it.

Chris

/ SCUT winter warmup. #13  
I only have a trickle charger on the tractor battery - nothing else. My tractor sits in an unheated carport and has never failed to start - even down to -27F. I still can't remember why I was out at those temps - but anyhow. I always allow the tractor to warm up as per the Owners Manual recommendations. Once warm - I will run all the hydraulics thru a few cycles and then go.

However - excluding the one time at -27F - many time I've gone out to do something and its just too dam cold for me. I wait for a warmer day.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #14  
Instead of wasting fuel idling to warmup along with the extra wear on the electrical system and extra engine wear. Equipment and vehicles here are plugged in near and below freezing.
Instant heat from the windshield defroster too.
Odd how some folk change the oil every 3000 miles to save wear. Yet they don't mind the wear on cold cylinder bores and lube wash down by unburned fuel.

/ SCUT winter warmup.
Instead of wasting fuel idling to warmup along with the extra wear on the electrical system and extra engine wear. Equipment and vehicles here are plugged in near and below freezing.
Instant heat from the windshield defroster too.
Odd how some folk change the oil every 3000 miles to save wear. Yet they don't mind the wear on cold cylinder bores and lube wash down by unburned fuel.

Buickanddeere,

I'm confused at what are you suggesting.

While an engine block heater can help . . There is much more that has to be warmed up on a tractor in cold weathrr than just the engine.

Your stated opinion talks about cars and winshields but doesn't seem to be focused on tractor needs . . . Hydraulics and transmissions etc..

/ SCUT winter warmup. #16  
Battery tender always, (9 year old factory battery, knock on wood), lower radiator hose heater for an hour (on remote control), dipstick heater in tranny when below zero, glow plugs for 15 seconds, start, engage pto, throttle up off of idle, reverse in low-low, go back inside and finish coffee while it backs out into my field warming up.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #17  
For those of us who park our tractors in a heated garage (~60 degrees) is there anything we should be looking out for while working in cold conditions? I am new to diesels and figure since the tractor is parked in a heated garage I will just start it and go without a warm up and when finished just park it and let the snow melt off. Anything else I should be thinking about?

/ SCUT winter warmup. #18  
Pretty much anything you load engine or pump you need the oil in operating condition. Oil heats up slower than engine coolant. So even in a heated garage warming up for 5 minutes outside or with all the garage bay door open is a good idea. The hardest time for engine or pump is when they are dead cold. Thus, the recent push has been for thinner fluids when starting cold. Like 0w-20, 0w-30, 0w-40 motor oils. The benefits of synthetics has been less stress on cold engine and pumps when operated very cold conditions or very hot conditions they offer more protection.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #19  
Buickanddeere,

While an engine block heater can help . . There is much more that has to be warmed up on a tractor in cold weathrr than just the engine.

Your stated opinion talks about cars and winshields but doesn't seem to be focused on tractor needs . . . Hydraulics and transmissions etc..

A general answer that covers all . Some tractors do have windshields. If the manufacture specs the use of hydraulic pre-heating , then pre-heat.

/ SCUT winter warmup. #20  
Buickanddeere,

A general answer that covers all . Some tractors do have windshields. If the manufacture specs the use of hydraulic pre-heating , then pre-heat.