sea foam

/ sea foam #11  
My Gravely riding mower would not idle at all. I added Sea Foam, ran it full throttle for 5 minutes and it now purrs like a kitten at idle. However, not as much luck with my rough running Suzuki four-wheeler.

/ sea foam #12  
One of my wife's female friends came by a really old front tine tiller, I believe an Ariens for nothing but the B%S horizontal shaft engine was feeble or in other words, you got blisters from the recoil (which I broke the rope on but that's another story). I put in about 5 ounces of seafoam in the almost empty gas tank, gave it a shot of either and fired it up. I held the throttle wide open (Briggs don't have enough carburetor or intake efficiency to blow up) and ran out the 5 ounces, filled it back up with regular unleaded and it now purrs likie a kitten and starts on the second pull.

/ sea foam #13  
I'm not an additive user but I do use SeaFoam and StaBil regularly in all my engines. Particularly after a winter in the barn when I said I'd run the engine every week but didn't.

/ sea foam #15  
I use it in my boat motor (4 stroke), can't tell any real difference, but the boat forums swear by it, especially with ethanol in the gas theses days.

I also mix it in my lawn mower, weed eater ect tra.

/ sea foam #16  
An effective elephant repellant, but otherwise not worth a darn.

/ sea foam #18  
I bought my daughter a VW Jetta at a tow in auction that had a miss and a bad valvetrain tick.I poured some seafoam into the oil and after a few minutes it cleared up.Iwas thinking it was a collapsed lifter that the seafoam helped clear up.It's run fine ever since.

/ sea foam #19  
Has anyone ever used this product to de-carbon a Lister Petter diesel engine that was using waste veggie oil for fuel - asking for a friend (really!!)

/ sea foam #20  
I think these fuel additives are just placebos.

I posted this yesterday (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/2527116-post33.html):

I think ya'll can save your money.

From Mercury Marine (http://www.mercurymarine.com/service-and-support/storage-and-maintenance/faqs/mercruiser/?category=ethanol)

What is phase separation, and how do I deal with it?

If significant amounts of water are present in a fuel tank with gasoline that contains ethanol, the water will be drawn into the fuel until the saturation point is reached for the three-component mixture of water + gasoline + ethanol. Beyond this level of water, phase separation could cause most of the ethanol and water to separate from the bulk fuel and drop to the bottom of the tank, leaving gasoline with a significantly reduced level of ethanol in the upper phase. If the lower phase of water and ethanol is large enough to reach the fuel inlet, it could be pumped directly to the engine and cause significant problems. Even if the ethanol water phase at the bottom of the tank is not drawn into the fuel inlet, the reduced ethanol level of the fuel reduces the octane rating by as much as 3 octane numbers, which could result in engine problems.

The level at which phase separation can occur is determined by a number of variables, including the amount of ethanol, the composition of the fuel, the temperature of the environment and the presence of contaminants. It is very important (A) that the system is inspected for significant quantities of water in the tank before using gasoline with ethanol and (B) to limit exposure of the fuel tank to excess water. If phase separation has occurred, it is necessary to completely remove all free water from the system and replace the fuel before continuing operation. Otherwise, engine problems could occur.

Is an additive available that can prevent phase separation?

There is no practical additive that can prevent phase separation from occurring. The only practical solution is to keep water from accumulating in the tank in the first place.

Are there any additives that can allow the phase-separated mixture to remix when added to the fuel tank?

No, the only way to avoid further problems is to remove the water, dispose of the depleted fuel, clean the tank and start with a fresh, dry load of fuel.