sea foam

/ sea foam #21  
I'm not an additive user but I do use SeaFoam and StaBil regularly in all my engines. Particularly after a winter in the barn when I said I'd run the engine every week but didn't.

Translation: "I'm not an additive user, but I am an additive user."

:)

You sir may be in denial! :laughing: ;)

/ sea foam #22  
dourobob said:
Has anyone ever used this product to de-carbon a Lister Petter diesel engine that was using waste veggie oil for fuel - asking for a friend (really!!)

Use 50 50 mix of diesel and kerosene.

/ sea foam #23  
Has anyone ever used this product to de-carbon a Lister Petter diesel engine that was using waste veggie oil for fuel - asking for a friend (really!!)

I wonder if the same happens running a diesel pickup on fryer grease?

I think these fuel additives are just placebos.

So is sex without a condom, however, we all do it now and then.....:D

Translation: "I'm not an additive user, but I am an additive user."

:)

You sir may be in denial! :laughing: ;)

:thumbsup:

/ sea foam #24  
Do you ever wonder; if these additives do what's claimed, why don't the fuel suppliers add them right at the bulk tank and use it to gain an edge over the competition?

/ sea foam #25  
Because there is no competition. How much variability in price is there? None of any consequence. Hence, they don't really compete.

/ sea foam #26  
Okay,If an Additive can visably make a remarkable change in how an engine idles or runs then ,how is it a waste of time and money?

/ sea foam #27  
jonyyuma said:
Okay,If an Additive can visably make a remarkable change in how an engine idles or runs then ,how is it a waste of time and money?

The issue is what evidence other than anecdotal supports the positive effect of additives. Anecdotes can be biased, misleading and not relevant to general use. If something miraculously helps my lawnmower by cleaning the carburetor, is that supposed to support adding it to my diesel tractor?

The companies that produce these things generally start with an unproven amalgam of "good" theoretical considerations and then pour resources into marketing rather than confirmatory research. Recall STP? That was hot stuff for years until someone debunked their false claims.

/ sea foam #28  
Well, I had some luck with using Sea Foam in my 4-stroke power washer. Forgot to drain the gas out before putting it in winter storage a few years back. Ever since then it would not idle well and would surge to varying degrees depending on what RPM it was running. It ran this way for several years before I tried adding about a 1/4 of a pint to the gas tank. By the time I ran that tank out it was idling better and the surge is all but gone. Can't say it runs quite like new, but definitely better than before I added SF. Have since run it through in my 18 year old Wheel Horse with a P220 Onan just for added "insurance" but that Onan always ran well so who knows if it helped any. My thought was to clean out any carbon on the intake valves.

/ sea foam #29  
Do you ever wonder; if these additives do what's claimed, why don't the fuel suppliers add them right at the bulk tank and use it to gain an edge over the competition?
=======

The truth of the matter is fuel (gas&diesel) does not hold up like it used to. Gas now days can deteriorate in a matter of days making it prone to leave deposits.

My anecdote which really ended in surprise was convincing enough for me. I have a golf cart which I have used daily for 12 years. This Summer it started to hesitate and I expected the reason was lack of spark. I was all set to replace the ignition coil because I tried new plugs and it did not help a bit. Someone suggested try a squirt of SeaFoam first. They were experienced and suspected my problem was fuel supply not electrical.

Well, I put a couple of oz. of Seafoam in a tank of gas. The cart immediately started running worse with twice the engine hesitation when I attempted to accelerate. I blamed the Seafoam. I also went ahead and replaced a small ceramic filter below the engine I did not even know existed for the 12 years of use.

That was all the cart needed. The thing has run excellent ever since. The sea foam had actuallly worked but the gas lines and filter system were so cruddy the Sea Foam broke all that stuff loose and this finished off that little ceramic filter. Regular use of that stuff I believe would have prevented that gas from leaving all the extra sludge at once.

Walmart sells sea foam but they also sell a competing brand which is half as much in cost. For the same $9.00 for something like an 8 oz. or 16 oz. can of SeaFoam you can buy twice as much of that generic stuff. I dont know if it is as good but it could be. The generic I speak of might be called Lucas brand if my memory is correct.

That story I experienced did it for me. Sea Foam works.

rimshot

/ sea foam #30  
=======

The truth of the matter is fuel (gas&diesel) does not hold up like it used to. Gas now days can deteriorate in a matter of days making it prone to leave deposits.

My anecdote which really ended in surprise was convincing enough for me. I have a golf cart which I have used daily for 12 years. This Summer it started to hesitate and I expected the reason was lack of spark. I was all set to replace the ignition coil because I tried new plugs and it did not help a bit. Someone suggested try a squirt of SeaFoam first. They were experienced and suspected my problem was fuel supply not electrical.

Well, I put a couple of oz. of Seafoam in a tank of gas. The cart immediately started running worse with twice the engine hesitation when I attempted to accelerate. I blamed the Seafoam. I also went ahead and replaced a small ceramic filter below the engine I did not even know existed for the 12 years of use.

That was all the cart needed. The thing has run excellent ever since. The sea foam had actuallly worked but the gas lines and filter system were so cruddy the Sea Foam broke all that stuff loose and this finished off that little ceramic filter. Regular use of that stuff I believe would have prevented that gas from leaving all the extra sludge at once.

Walmart sells sea foam but they also sell a competing brand which is half as much in cost. For the same $9.00 for something like an 8 oz. or 16 oz. can of SeaFoam you can buy twice as much of that generic stuff. I dont know if it is as good but it could be. The generic I speak of might be called Lucas brand if my memory is correct.

That story I experienced did it for me. Sea Foam works.

rimshot

I don't doubt you at all. That sequence makes perfect sense.
Cart runs poorly.
Add Seafoam.
Cart runs worse.
Change filter.
Cart runs great.

But until you eliminate the uncontrolled variables from the "test", you have to wonder how much the filter change helped vs the additive.

Except for stabilizer, I remain skeptical wrt additives. Even the refinery chemists agree that those who store fuel or engines with fuel should stabilize that fuel.