Searching for a truck I may never find?

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #31  
Those Allison's aren't all that great. They can be strong but I wish you could see some of the ones I torn down.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find?
Those Allison's aren't all that great. They can be strong but I wish you could see some of the ones I torn down.
I don’t see a lot being rebuilt or wearing out early.
No way I’m doing a 4R100, 4L80E, or Chrysler transmission.
I would consider a Ford, but the 6/6.4 is just too much to deal with.

Now I might do a 6.7L Ford/Torqslip but then there’s emissions. Don’t want that.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #33  
The 5 and 6spd in the cummins seem to last. Have had both. I hate the dual mass flywheel in the later ones. Mine has a dual disc which is somehow worse

The 5 and 6spd in the cummins seem to last. Have had both. I hate the dual mass flywheel in the later ones. Mine has a dual disc which is somehow worse
Auto or manual?
I won’t plow with a manual anymore.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #35  
Wouldn't a little medium duty 4x2 road tractor (or something with a short w/b) with a plain wooden (or fancy store bought) flat deck on the back handle 99% of your snows?
I'd think that the sub division plowing that you've talked about, this would work as long as you had a loaded salt spreder on the back.
Most would have a little 7L Cat or Cummings and finding one with an Allison A/T is not as much of a unicorn as a decent 06-07 GM. They'd probably be single frame for structural concerns.
W.a.g. but I'd almost bet that you could be set up with a blade for +/- $10k. ???
Driveway plow truck, not so much. 😉

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #36  
Auto or manual?
I won’t plow with a manual anymore.
Manual.

I wont buy anything with an automatic that I plan on keeping.

OBS ford gasses are dime a dozen and there is a lot of them in the short wheelbase. Guy pulled in the drive wanting to sell me his powerstroke for $5k a few years back. Told him I cant do short cab and 4wd. I have 2 obs 4 door long wheel base f350 gasser sitting out back

Well, I’m only doing an auto for plowing, but appreciate the input.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #38  
I don’t see a lot being rebuilt or wearing out early.
No way I’m doing a 4R100, 4L80E, or Chrysler transmission.
I would consider a Ford, but the 6/6.4 is just too much to deal with.

Now I might do a 6.7L Ford/Torqslip but then there’s emissions. Don’t want that.
Really? Considering we have 4 lines rebuilding the 1k/2k tranny (not all GM), seems alot need a reman.

I've done hundreds of failure analysis on 1k/2k. They got their issues. Proper maintenance is a must

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #39  
Well, I’m only doing an auto for plowing, but appreciate the input.
I'm a fan of pre-CAN Bus vehicles too. So anything mostly pre-2008.

2002 RAM 2500HD with upgraded OE tow suspension package for 5th wheel, QC, 5.7 Hemi, 3.73 corp diff. Love the truck. Would not even consider plowing with it. The rear for having a tractor. Plowing puts a huge beating on a truck. And trucks cost more than a tractor. Nope, not doing it.

The RAM does all the other farm grunt work with ease. It's a great power house for towing and hauling. It can pull a tandem pair of hay wagons out of a cut field up a hilled incline. What a beast! The guy with the big Kubota cab tractor can't even do it in 4WD.

I too live up north now. Plow trucks are beater machines. Nope, not doing that to my trucks.

Really? Considering we have 4 lines rebuilding the 1k/2k tranny (not all GM), seems alot need a reman.

I've done hundreds of failure analysis on 1k/2k. They got their issues. Proper maintenance is a must
My guess would be since they are the industry standard for medium & heavy truck transmissions you are seeing the sheer numbers of them out in the field. They dwarf the next biggest in terms of numbers, so you would see lots getting repaired.
I have a 3000RDS in my IH dump truck. Seems like everyone uses Allisons and they get ABUSED.